PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem 300zx upgrade on an s13

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok so I installed my 300zx ebrakes all the way around on my 91 s13. All calipers work and no leaks in any of the lines. The e-brake I think I need custom rebuilt because of a rusted piece. Anyway my problem is everytime I pump the pedal there is no pressure. Any idea what this could be? I tried a new master cylinder and that didn't work and I took mine out of my other car that worked and still no luck. Thanks in advance.

Sileighty_85
08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Make sure bleeder valves on calipers are installed facing "UP"

and Throughly bleed the system

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Maybe I put them on backwards that makes sense. But there's foam that gets into the master cylinder it seems. It gets foamy after couple of pumps? So I thought maybe there was a leak but it could be just the calipers are upside down because I think I put them on the bottom on the front end of the car. HMM I'll check taht tomorrow. Does that explain the foam though?

bejota180sx
08-21-2008, 02:18 AM
yeah check if your calipers are on the right way, did you bleed it completly on all 4 brakes? and did you bench bleed the master cilinder?

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 04:12 AM
I bled all the brakes properly. I never bench bled before and never had any problems so I don't think that's it.

projectRDM
08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Maybe I put them on backwards that makes sense. But there's foam that gets into the master cylinder it seems. It gets foamy after couple of pumps? So I thought maybe there was a leak but it could be just the calipers are upside down because I think I put them on the bottom on the front end of the car. HMM I'll check taht tomorrow. Does that explain the foam though?

Foam = air. You have a leak.

s15specR
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
If you're seeing foam you have a leak or didn't bleed everything properly, double check and re-bleed. It maybe coming from the master cyl not being bled.......never heard of not bleeding it and it working properly

xkamikazestormx
08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
when i did my brake upgrade, it took me forever to bleed the system. try it multiple times.

SixSpeedSleuth
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I just installed 300zx brakes on my car and had the exact symptoms you describe. I then re-bled the system and the pedal got hard as a rock. There is no doubt, you have air in the system.

idahotuner
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
i was a dumbass the last time i bleeded my brakes i would sit there forever pushing the brake pedal and wasnt getting any pressure. and my buddy that was helping me couldnt figure it out either. i was like last time i did this is bled supper fast.

so any how we switch places me opperating the bleeders and him pumping the pedal and instanly we start getting pressure. i was like WTH and look at his feet. and i had been puching the clutch pedal lol.....

simple mistake lol that if you not thinking could easily be a problem lol. and with the bleeder open i was gettting foam and stuff to just from pushing the clutch petal.

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I realized I put all the bleeders on the bottom by accident. So I'm going to try to swap them all and see if that works. Could it be that simple?

slidingsky
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, amazing isn't it.

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
LoL that is the first time I ever did that too LoL. Does that explain the foamy cylinder though?

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
O and one more 300z brake question. I put my e-brake drums on but my block where the e-brake connects is rusted and junky. Is there anyway to get a new one of them? Also is it direct bolt on or is there some sort of welding required? Do the lines run the same path as the stock lines or they need to be rerouted? This is on a 91 s13 240sx by the way.

Ca_Silvia
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
LoL that is the first time I ever did that too LoL. Does that explain the foamy cylinder though?

With the bleeders facing down you won't be able to get all the air out thus leave air in the system which = foam in the master.

Switch the calipers and re bleed the system, gravity bleed is by far the easiest method of bleeding the brake try that.

jrbump
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Bench bleed your master and buy some speed bleeders.

You will be done in no time.

rocksteady_racer
08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Question on last post: Where can I get some speed bleeders from? I was thinking about getting a set anyway. It'll make my life a lot easier. Now only if they had speed bleeders for the clutch cylinder LoL.

!Zar!
08-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Ugh speed bleeders. I hate those things.

If you can bleed brakes propperly it would be much more effective/consistant.

SoguRacing
08-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I can't believe people post and repost this same shit. It's been covered multiple times. What a waste of time...and to think that people know how to put shit together they rush through the process only to find out what is wrong and not know how to fix it. simple errors that shouldn't have been made.

jrbump
08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Question on last post: Where can I get some speed bleeders from? I was thinking about getting a set anyway. It'll make my life a lot easier. Now only if they had speed bleeders for the clutch cylinder LoL.

I got some at the auto parts store.

Otherwise check the vendors.

onehundredoctane
08-21-2008, 05:32 PM
^yup, i even followed up my post a while back with the problem I found, granted mine were Q45 brakes, but it's common mistake on any car.

rocksteady_racer
08-23-2008, 02:34 AM
That's the point of the forums - to help people out. I've done 20 brake jobs before and this is the first time I've done this. It was a stupid mistake but it was a lot faster for me to ask the community for help than for me to try and figure it out. Plus no one has covered the 300zx e-brake swap except on import nut and they are very vague about the install on an s13(they just say that the lines should fit but need to be rerouted.) So I would really like some help with that. We aren't all professionals.

xkamikazestormx
08-23-2008, 02:38 AM
for s13s use the z32 2+2 cable and it bolts right in. my friend did it.

on the s14, use r33 ebrale cables and it bolts right in. ive done it on my car.

rocksteady_racer
08-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Sweet that's what I have the 2+2 Cables.