PDA

View Full Version : Clutch, and some other questions from noob.

Boorah
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey guys new to the forum and couldn't come up with all the answers through a search, so here it goes.

1. Whenever Im driving and push in the clutch, I can hear a noise that sounds like my syncros, just seems louder that in should be.

2. Also it seems like it takes a while for my clutch to grab, my car has 100k miles and i think its still the stock clutch, how long do the stockers usually last?

3. How often should the differential fluid be changed, and how? (My first RWD car)

4. Best spark plugs to use?

5. Also I couldn't figure out how to disable the power antenna, I couldn't reach the cables that are attached to the antenna motor to unplug them and couldn't find any fuses, is there a simpler way?

6. Is seafoam fine with this car, or is it going to cause problems?

7. Also there is a loud whoosh or sucking noise at higher RPM's is it a vacuum leak or my fan or something?

Again, sorry for asking questions that may have been asked before, but I just wanted some quick answers so I can get to work and take care of just a few small things.

Btw here is my car for reference. (KA24E)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/boorahdurukan/240SX/DSCN0695.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/boorahdurukan/240SX/DSCN0701.jpg

SleepR 240sx
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
First off DANG, nice clean car for a 89-90.

As far as stock clutch it all depends on how the car has been driven. If the clutch gets dumped a lot or the previous owner was a terrible stick driver it could be going out. However my friend's Honda CB7 has lasted for 300,000+ miles on stock motor. Tranny got fried because of lack of gear oil but he used the same clutch for 300,000 miles. So it could last that long yes.

The whooshing sound could possibly be the compressor clutch on your AC compressor going out. Take the belt off the AC compressor, if you still get the same noise that's not it.

Boorah
08-20-2008, 07:34 AM
The last owner took care of the car pretty damn good and never really beat it, so the clutch should be good then I hope, would my AC be affected if the AC compressor was going out? Because the AC is freaking COLD.

And thanks, I like my car :D

TTrx7Pete
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey guys new to the forum and couldn't come up with all the answers through a search, so here it goes.

1. Whenever Im driving and push in the clutch, I can hear a noise that sounds like my syncros, just seems louder that in should be.

Sounds normal in most manual transmission, however, your throw-out bearing could be going out, but I find it unlikely. Most manual transmissions make noise. Check the boots under your shifter console to see if they are torn or anything. That would allow noise in you aren't used to. Check your transmission fluid as well. Should be replaced every 60k miles.

2. Also it seems like it takes a while for my clutch to grab, my car has 100k miles and i think its still the stock clutch, how long do the stockers usually last?

As the other poster suggested, it really is dependent on how others before you drove it. If you feel it is sluggish, also check your clutch lines and bleed them. If not, may be time for a new clutch upgrade :naughty:

3. How often should the differential fluid be changed, and how? (My first RWD car)

Every 60k miles.

4. Best spark plugs to use?

I prefer NGK... you should be able to search to find the correct part #

5. Also I couldn't figure out how to disable the power antenna, I couldn't reach the cables that are attached to the antenna motor to unplug them and couldn't find any fuses, is there a simpler way?

There should be a fuse. Check under your driver side dash kick panel. Why do you want to disable it?

6. Is seafoam fine with this car, or is it going to cause problems?

Depends, I don't see any problems running it, but I'm not a fan of the product.

7. Also there is a loud whoosh or sucking noise at higher RPM's is it a vacuum leak or my fan or something?

Do as the other poster suggested. You should also check for vacuum leaks. Check your intake and filter. Check your belts too. Do you know where or what side of the car you hear it coming from?

Boorah
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds normal in most manual transmission, however, your throw-out bearing could be going out, but I find it unlikely. Most manual transmissions make noise. Check the boots under your shifter console to see if they are torn or anything. That would allow noise in you aren't used to. Check your transmission fluid as well. Should be replaced every 60k miles.

As the other poster suggested, it really is dependent on how others before you drove it. If you feel it is sluggish, also check your clutch lines and bleed them. If not, may be time for a new clutch upgrade :naughty:

Every 60k miles.

I prefer NGK... you should be able to search to find the correct part #

There should be a fuse. Check under your driver side dash kick panel. Why do you want to disable it?

Depends, I don't see any problems running it, but I'm not a fan of the product.

Do as the other poster suggested. You should also check for vacuum leaks. Check your intake and filter. Check your belts too. Do you know where or what side of the car you hear it coming from?

First off, thanks alot for the great answers.

Im going to go and have my trans and diff fluid changed later this week because I don't know if it was changed or not, or when it was.

I just went and picked up some NGK plugs and seafoam, going to get that out of the way, then a nice oil change with mobil 1 full synth.

And I wanted to disable the antenna because its not working. (up and down.)

And the whooshing sound is coming from the very front drivers side (atleast it sounds that way) I'll check for vac leaks when I change the airfilter tomorrow.