PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slipping after Install.. HELP!!

Agent_S13
01-07-2003, 04:45 PM
I was hoping someone could help diagnose this problem w/ my newly installed clutch. I had it put in about a week ago and have been driving conservatively. Its been fine until now, today I was shifting gears (2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th, etc) and it doesn't completely engage... the rev's will rise before they catch or sometimes doesn't catch at all.
(Not fun driving on around town at 3k rpm in 4th gear going 15 mph)

I put in a 240z clutch and it fit w/ no problems, replaced the TO bearing/pilot bushing and had flywheel resurfaced as well. The only problem was in bleeding, learned that the slave cylinder was bad and put a new one on. I thought that was the end of it, but could it be the Cluch MC that now needs to be replaced? Was it a botched clutch install? I'm assuming that I just have to replace the Clutch MC and hopefully things will be back to normal... is that it? If someone else can diagnose this from my symptoms, it would be appreciated. The sooner I get a response, the sooner I can get working on fixing it. Thanks!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

Rocking_S14
01-11-2003, 05:54 PM
With the clutch disengaged, check to see if your slave cylinder goes back to the normal position. You can check and see if it does by pushing really hard on it to go back as far as it can. If it does move more than quarter inch, then most likely that is what your problem is.
Who did the overhaul of the slave cylinder? May have forgotten to clean out the inside of the bore and grease up the inner housing and piston which will cause the clutch release to not fully go back into it's normal postion while the clutch is disengaged.
Once you do this, ensure you bleed the line again.

I've seen this problem many times before so check it out..hopefully it will be a simple fix for you.
Good luck

Natty
01-11-2003, 07:29 PM
I would bet large sums of money (which I don't have :p ) that you have to adjust the clutch pedal freeplay. If you do it immediately, you can save your clutch. It is easy too, just adjust the nuts that the rod that attaches to your clutch pedal. Play around with it, but there should be about an inch of freeplay before the clutch disengages.
I can explain more and post a pic, if you need it.
Jeff

Natty
01-11-2003, 07:32 PM
See the nuts in the pic? You can turn the nuts left or right because the rod is threaded. I forgot which was though.
Just mess around until there is an inch of freeplay before the clutch disengages.
Good luck.
Jeff

Agent_S13
01-11-2003, 08:02 PM
I just wanted to say that its now taken care of. It was the clutch pedal adjustment. I just find it weird that it was cool for a week while driving, but all of a sudden the pedal kept the clutch disengaged. While I wouldn't mind a response to that, I'm just glad I'm running again.

At the same time, yeah my clutch MC is leaking but not very much. Will probably take care of it in a few weeks or so. Shouldn't be that hard to do. Replace, bleed the lines, I'm good to go! :D

Though for the 10 miles I drove it home w/ the clutch slipping probably broke in the new clutch in real good, right? :rolleyes: Another lesson learned here but it grabs good now and feels comfortable.

Thanks to all that replied!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

wpayne
01-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Agent_S13, do you know which way you had to turn the nut to adjust the pedal? Mine isn't slipping but the clutch doesn't engage untill it is towards the end of it's stroke(letting the pedal out). I was it to engage just an inch or so from releasing the pedal from the floor.

Agent_S13
01-12-2003, 03:07 PM
wpayne -

Natty (Jeff) has a great picture of the adjustment. I actually didn't adjust the rod that connects to the clutch MC, there is a nut above that -- it controls the clutch freeplay. I only adjusted that one the entire time.

I first tighted it all the way down and the engagement was super tight -- it would engage at the bottom of the pedal that made it really though to take off cuz I wasn't used to it. I didn't mess around with the rod that way, just the clutch adjustment. Eventually I let it all out (solved my slipping clutch problem) and finely tuned it back to where I like it (mid-catch point on the clutch pedal)

I know its not clear but know there are actually 2 options there to work with on the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal free play and the rod that connects to the Clutch MC. Both can be adjusted, I only adjusted the free play. HTH!

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

wpayne
01-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Hey, Sorry to keep bothering you but I'm not sure what is being circled in the Natty's picture and what nut he is talking about. Could you possibly make an area to the nut thats supposed to be adjusted? Thanks Man

wpayne
01-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey! I got it done! I adjusted the rodby first threading it all the way through. The clutch would engage right when I release it even a little bit so I kept on screwing the rod back out bit by bit till I got it to where it seems right. It engages sooner than when it was before I changed my clutch but it's kind fun to drive like this, I just got to get a bit more used to it then it'll all be good. Thanks for the help.