PDA

View Full Version : can someone please help me with a tranny problem?

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Hopefully this enough details to explain my problems.

I bought an exhaust system, and a shop instaled it, becuase i needed some other parts. the shop welded the exhaust to the what looked like a exhaust hanger #1 closest to tranny/driveshaft/tranny mount..all in this area....

I did a 5spd swap and had to saw the exhaust off of this hanger so i can remove the tranny mount to take down the tranny. when i sawed it off i never replaced this piece i sawed off. Now my transmission shakes at low speeds.

this piece looked like a rubber block at the end of transmission where the driveshaft connected. This piece also bolted up to the back of the tranny mount, and hung off of it..

if you know what it is please let me know.. if u have it sell it to me please.. or tell me where i can get it.

aznpoopy
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
#1. its an exhaust support/insulator
part# for s14 is 20535-s14001
part# for s13 is 20610-s13001
there are brackets that go along with it that have separate part numbers

#2. you get one the same place you get any oem part - a nissan dealership. go to courtesyparts.com and you can find your own parts / part numbers in the future. they have an online catalogue of parts, diagrams/pics included.

#3. it supports the exhaust. it does not support the transmission, nor would not having one cause your transmission to shake. you are either hearing the exhaust moving around or your transmission is not properly secured to the mounts/car. not having one is no problem. i've never had one on my car.

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
then what would cause the problems.. i had factory mounts and it shook, i replaced with nismo mounts and still shook.. cross member is bolted down by impact, nismo mount is bolted down as well.

when i installed the tranny we lifted the car to bleed all lines, and noticed the tranny was moving around.. couldnt figure out why???

when im at a red light i and slowly take off it shakes up and down like a mount wasnt there. All i know is this problem bugs me and i wish to get it fixed very soon.

aznpoopy
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
i would guess engine mounts are crapped out or the secondary bolts that secure the transmission to the tranny mount aren't in

Sileighty_85
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like your Trannys not bolted to the engine Lolz

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
new motor mounts too, it stills shakes from old ones to new one..

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds like your Trannys not bolted to the engine Lolz

well if it wasnt bolted up, then how can i drive everywhere... my car drives fine...

Mikey88
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
trannies are the worst thats why you never get a prostitute you'll never no what you get till the last minute... jp man hope you get the problem fixed

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
yea seriously. i called my local dealership, and they said for me to come in and they can check it for 98 bucks, just to see whats wrong with it.. but i rather search around to find the problem before i blow 100 bucks on that..

rightcoastimports
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
i get this same type of vibration at mid rpm's and deceleration. its terrible. brought it to an exhaust shop and they couldnt figure it out.. might be my tranny. but i have nismo motor mounts and transmission mount. no clue but it drives me nuts. i know how you feel...

pinky121388
08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
#1. its an exhaust support/insulator
part# for s14 is 20535-s14001
part# for s13 is 20610-s13001
there are brackets that go along with it that have separate part numbers

#2. you get one the same place you get any oem part - a nissan dealership. go to courtesyparts.com and you can find your own parts / part numbers in the future. they have an online catalogue of parts, diagrams/pics included.

#3. it supports the exhaust. it does not support the transmission, nor would not having one cause your transmission to shake. you are either hearing the exhaust moving around or your transmission is not properly secured to the mounts/car. not having one is no problem. i've never had one on my car.

please tell me where u got these part numbers, i searched courtesynissan for them, there was no matches.

aznpoopy
08-20-2008, 07:29 AM
courtesynissan is the wrong website.

go to courtesyparts.com.
then click on the big red link that says "click for our new ONLINE CATALOGUE." the normal search on the main webpage is not the same as the catalogue search.

then you can enter the parts # after selecting your car on the top right search field in the grey bar on top, or you can go into the genuine parts catalogue and find it manually, which is what i did for you in the first place.

xplicit240
08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
this happened to me as well. make sure your drive shaft is secure and mounted on correctly. then voila~ problem solved.

DreamN
08-20-2008, 07:45 AM
loose driveshaft would definitely cause some heavy vibration. all that vibration could actually snap the driveshaft bolts. make sure everything is torqued down to specs.

ericcastro
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Im having the same problem.

I redid my clutch at the track the other month, and since then its been happening.

When I had the tranny out, there was a rubber bushing type of deal that sits on the rear end of the tranny, on the top site. this thing was completly crapped out on mine, so i just let it break apart and fall all over.

No I got these vibration issues under load and when decelerating using downshifting.

I believe this might be your problem. get under there and look.

pinky121388
08-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Im having the same problem.

I redid my clutch at the track the other month, and since then its been happening.

When I had the tranny out, there was a rubber bushing type of deal that sits on the rear end of the tranny, on the top site. this thing was completly crapped out on mine, so i just let it break apart and fall all over.

No I got these vibration issues under load and when decelerating using downshifting.

I believe this might be your problem. get under there and look.

does it look like a rubber block.. i no mine is off...

my tranny doesn't vibrate.. it shakes up and down like.. and makes a clicky noise.

ericcastro
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I think its a rectangle shaped rubber block that goes on the top of the tranny, between the tranny and the floor.

pinky121388
08-23-2008, 12:50 AM
yea and it also acts a exhaust hanger!!! i missing that, since then tranny been bouncin like a basketball.. at low speeds. annoying as hell... i cant seem to find one.

sillyvia13
08-23-2008, 12:55 AM
yea and it also acts a exhaust hanger!!! i missing that, since then tranny been bouncin like a basketball.. at low speeds. annoying as hell... i cant seem to find one.

you sure it not exh hittin trans?

the piece you cut?

can you man handled tranny and move it? by hand? try new mounts..
I got a spl one? it makes thing tighter... when My wheel hops my stick shift goes balannas...
gl tho

pinky121388
08-23-2008, 12:59 AM
when i come to a stop, my tranny bounces like a ball up and down.. i replaced mounts, check every bolt every thing 3 times, and had my friend check.. on our lift.. we cant find it... the only thing that leads me to solve this problem is the rubber dampener that connects the exhaust to tranny mount.

DreamN
08-23-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/images/s13/s13_200-1.gif

^ do you see anything similar to what you're describing?

Sileighty_85
08-23-2008, 01:18 AM
when i come to a stop, my tranny bounces like a ball up and down.. i replaced mounts, check every bolt every thing 3 times, and had my friend check.. on our lift.. we cant find it... the only thing that leads me to solve this problem is the rubber dampener that connects the exhaust to tranny mount.

Dude if your talking about Item #20621 & 20651

They have nothing to do with your tranny bouncing , Its for stablizing the exhaust, not the tranny. If your tanny being bolted to the chassis does not keep your tansmission form boucing why would your exhaust with a rubber bushing hold it down?

Its not need, mine broke it half and I've never had an issue like your talking about

Video and pics would help

DreamN
08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
^ :werd: I still think you have loose driveshaft bolts.

ericcastro
08-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Maybe the carrier bearing bushing is going?

pinky121388
08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
no cant be that.. i installed the tranny and drove car the same day... it bounced.

i can double check the driveshaft bolts but i dont think it is the problem...

burnsauto
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
•jack up the car and put it on jackstands
•take the driveshaft out
•get in car
•start car
•put car in gear
•engage clutch and give it some gas (not a whole lot)

worse thing that'll happen is you'll lose a little fluid, but manual trans fluid isnt for lubrication really, more just to help with temperatures in the transmission.

If the transmission still shakes, then somethings not aligned correctly, or your main transmission bearing may be on its way out. If it stops shaking, then its somewhere further down the drivetrain, and not the transmission/mounts.

DriftMUH
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
that exhaust insulator broke the day before i had to sell my car.. pita i swear

pinky121388
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
•jack up the car and put it on jackstands
•take the driveshaft out
•get in car
•start car
•put car in gear
•engage clutch and give it some gas (not a whole lot)

worse thing that'll happen is you'll lose a little fluid, but manual trans fluid isnt for lubrication really, more just to help with temperatures in the transmission.

If the transmission still shakes, then somethings not aligned correctly, or your main transmission bearing may be on its way out. If it stops shaking, then its somewhere further down the drivetrain, and not the transmission/mounts.

ok well im putting in my coilovers on friday so i will check it out then, when i get to shop..

aNskY
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
ive had 3 s-chassis cars and that thing is one of the first parts to come off of all of them. pretty much useless, especially if youre running anything other than oem exhaust

dori_sil8t
08-27-2008, 08:28 PM
what about the pilot bushing in the flywheel?? when u did the swap did u replace that???
or
i get the same thing when i take off from a light. its the bolts that go through the rubber damper, only one comes loose time to time.shakes like a crack head. id check those out too

The Gray Ghost
08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I would check the center bearing on the drive shaft. A bad bearing will cause a lot of vibration. Make sure the rubber mount has not become brittle or torn.