PDA

View Full Version : S14 SR20DET Timing Problems, Q's. Guru's pls.

kuruptR
08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I'v had this problem with Timing my sr20det for sometime now,
not being able to set base timing to anything near 15 degrees.

Iv installed the CAS several times, each time not being able to start the car.
This is following the FSM. I finally got the car running after installing it, it runs, and runs okay but the car runs extremely HOT! It times at 23 Degrees (most retarded), it doesnt drive well... because I cannot retard it anymore I advance it to 26 degrees and it runs fine.

It starts and drives, a bit laggy as some rpm but drives okay I dont ever bag on it because it runs so hot!

I want to now fix the basetiming, drop it down to maybe around 18+- degrees.

Specs of the car,
S14 Kouki SR20DET
S14 WC Zenki ECU
S15 MAF
Emange Blue (doesnt have timing harness installed)

What can I do to change the base timing to 15, would anything off the specs list effect my timing?

0wn3r
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
WC ecu w/ kouki motor and S15 MAF?! Why?

kuruptR
08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
lol, doesnt answer my question..but here is the answer to yours; I used to have a zenki motor, purchased a kouki long block because the other one had some issues. The maf because it was the only one I could find that was said to work with the WC ECU, but didnt really matter because I have emange to convert the signal.

Anyhow, back on topic.

SoSideways
08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Is your timing chain loose? Because if it is, you might not be able to time your motor correctly.

s14unimog
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
are you just pulling the CAS in and out without removing the VC? I recently did cams this weekend and ran into the same problem of the car not starting. After removing and installing the CAS 2 or 3 times with no luck I finally pulled the VC back off and made fucking sure it was lining up. the car starts up great and runs like a champ. Maybe the same problem.

What all started this problem, disassembly?

kuruptR
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Its been like this since iv installed the s14. I went from s13 - 14 sr a while back, but have never been able to time the s14 properly.

Im gonna pull the CAS and valve cover off tonight.

UNISA JECS
08-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I'v had this problem with Timing my sr20det for sometime now,
not being able to set base timing to anything near 15 degrees.

Iv installed the CAS several times, each time not being able to start the car.
This is following the FSM. I finally got the car running after installing it, it runs, and runs okay but the car runs extremely HOT! It times at 23 Degrees (most retarded), it doesnt drive well... because I cannot retard it anymore I advance it to 26 degrees and it runs fine.

It starts and drives, a bit laggy as some rpm but drives okay I dont ever bag on it because it runs so hot!

I want to now fix the basetiming, drop it down to maybe around 18+- degrees.

Specs of the car,
S14 Kouki SR20DET
S14 WC Zenki ECU
S15 MAF
Emange Blue (doesnt have timing harness installed)

What can I do to change the base timing to 15, would anything off the specs list effect my timing?

What RPM are you setting base timing at? Thats most important, this cannot be guesstimed by that I mean with the gauge cluster, you need a digital tachometer.

kuruptR
08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah i have a digital tach on my timing gun

kuruptR
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Just to update someone asked me, it was incorrect installation of CAS. When i was pushing it in, it was going off slightly. It has to be accurate as hell.

RZRSHARP_240SX
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
How To Set Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Timing on the SR20DET Engine (http://www.frsport.com/How-To-Set-Crank-Angle-Sensor--CAS--Timing-on-the-SR20DET-Engine_t_25.html)
this is what I have always refered to when doing my timing. make sure you at TDC with the cams facing out. and align the marks. if you need help I am local with you I can help

s14unimog
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Just to update someone asked me, it was incorrect installation of CAS. When i was pushing it in, it was going off slightly. It has to be accurate as hell.

HA! I called it! 2 years ago!