PDA

View Full Version : S13 with blacktop turbo problems

asiandude15
08-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Alright so the car is a S13 with a blacktop S14 motor in it. The problem is that the turbo is really loud when you get on it like whistling. Like it was quiet before and tehn suddenly when we went front mount we started having problems. Like the the couplers kept popping off and we were using heavy duty stuff, not cheap couplers and clamps, thick couplers and t bolt clamps. But anyways that is fixed. So even at idle when you rev and the turbo starts to spool them you let off air like starts coming out of the compressor housing where the MAF and air filter are. I'm pretty sure this isn't supped to happen. Any ideas? We are using an HKS blow off valve. Then we hooked up a boost guage and it was directly to the compressor housing so it is a true reading without the pressure drop. It said 5 pounds so with pressure drop through the FMIC it would be like 3-4 lbs!!! I was like no way cuz he kept up with our friend who was running a red top with a t28 and he has almost more boost. What do you gues think, I was thinking of hooking up the boost guage to a source by the throttle after the FMIC so I get a true reading....

mxsx25
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
ugh, well your turbo is going to get louder w. a fmic, thats just the air running through more piping and whatnot, and where is your boost guage hooked up to now? it should be hooked up after the throttle body... and blowing couplers and piping is normal, tighten em up and find a way to keep them to stay together... if the turbo is really abnormally loud, than you may need to rebuild/replace the turbo if the shaft has significant play in it, gL

asiandude15
08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Have any idea why the turbo is blowing air out of it from the intake?

cotbu
08-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Are your pipes rolled or beaded? Even cheap worm gear clamps, can hold pipes together before you over tighten them. Maybe, your BOV is to tight causing the compressor blades to spin backwards? Is your valve cover T vented back to the intake? Maybe it's severe case of blow-by.

Mikey88
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
is the air comin out of the intake sound like air rushing out? if so you got some compressor surge but wat intake you running?

asiandude15
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought it was compressor surge... The intake is the stock S14 one..... The BOV is reacting fine, its way responsive... To be more specific the air is gushing out of the turbo's intake....