PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket gear oils.....magic????

Dream240
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey guys,

I've searched for oil breakdown threads/reviews, but there's no thread that answers my specific question.

I'm looking to change out the standard valvoline 75w-90 gear oil in my tranny due to the fact that for the past two weeks, I can't stop grinding 3rd gear.

It only does it when I actually try to utilize the speedy shifting of my B&M shifter. Whenever I go nice and slow, the gear fork will sludge into place no problems. Freeway merging....is...a...nightmare.

So my question is, what are some aftermarket gear oils that work to combat this clunky shifting process? And are there any oils that will bring my tranny back to life without me having to rebuild?

I'm leaning toward Redline 75w90 NS oil. Anybody use this stuff and does it help with shifting ease like it says it's supposed to?

Thanks.

dori_sil8t
08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
try elf oil. my buddy had the same problem stopped it for awhile. but in the end u need to change the trans.

drftmark
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Redline MT-90

Its awesome.

sr20boostn20
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
i was using 1/2 redline heavy shockproof and half redliine light shockproof

In my sr trannys which were used and abused. helped noticeably

im probably gonna use mt-90 in my vg tranny

i hear good things about gm synchromesh as well

Dream240
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just going to go with MT-90 again. I was just wondering if the 75w90 NS(non-slip) synthetic gear oil that they make would work better.