PDA

View Full Version : Got the FSM... little dissapointed.

Titan
01-04-2003, 03:24 PM
So I finally shelled out $60 Canadian and bought a FSM for my 89 240 from the dealership.

The first thing I did was look to the "Engine Removal" procedure under the "Engine Mechanical" section. I was shocked to only find 2 pages on it! One simple diagram of some mounts, etc. and a little dinky right up on saftey precautions etc.

Now at this point I look to an old Haynes manual for a Ford Tempo "Engine Removal" and I find like 7 pages on the topic listing tons of pictures and a STEP by STEP procedure. Everything from "1. Take the hood off using a xx size socket" to the very final touch.

Am I reading the manual wrong?? Is there some method to it, because as it stands I'm very dissapointed. For 60 bucks not only should I get a super-duper step by step procedure ("1. Turn car off 2. Push key release button 3. Take key out etc. etc."), but they should also kiss my ass and dance for me.

*sigh* any advice would be great. Thanks.

Dousan_PG
01-04-2003, 03:29 PM
sucks man. my 92, is about same
says
2 pages of info for it..
then what do disconntect/drain

REMOVAL:

1 remove tranny
2 drain.....

12 remove engine mounting bolts from both sides and then slowly raise engine

btw, do you have a scanner? i need a scan of the HUD (gauge cluster) pages so i can wire it up in my 92 DOHC.

if you can scan it and host it or email it to me [email protected]
i would appreciate it.

Titan
01-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Well I don't have a scanner myself, but my friend has one I believe. How urgently do you need it? Because it may be a few days before I can use his scanner.

240Driver39
01-04-2003, 08:11 PM
hey whats up, i can get u those pages now if ya want em, u just want all the ones associated with HUD eh?

pm or IM if ya stil need em

Titan
01-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I kind figured that.

How detailed is the Chilton's manual for our car? I mean doesn't it also cover the 200sx and Stanza?

Thanks.

mrdirty
01-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Titan
Yeah, I kind figured that.

How detailed is the Chilton's manual for our car? I mean doesn't it also cover the 200sx and Stanza?

Thanks.

It goes thru all the basics, torque specs, wiring diagrams, maint, and assembly diagrams. It's a great guide for 90% of the stuff I've done to the car but I'm not pulling engines or anything yet.

West
01-05-2003, 11:29 AM
You gotta keep in mind that these manuals aren't made for customers/consumers. They were created for Nissan techs. You gotta put your head to work for it.

Just for the record, check the EM section for things like oil pan removal, timing chain, etc. If you read the engine removal section, it'll tell you "refer to "oil pan removal" section for removing oil pan". Most things that pertain to motor removal are found in the EM section. Well... at least in a '92. Removing a motor really isn't that complicated... it's installing it that's a bitch. It's all common sense. Oh, if you're doing this, don't forget to de-pressurize your fuel system. I don't use the proper procedure of doing it (disconnect fuel relay, crank motor five times). What I found works better is sticking a screwdriver into the valve right under your gas cap.

Irena

Titan
01-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Alright, thanks everyone.

I won't be swapping her out until next winter, because I've found a great deal on an sr20 here in Ontario from a respectable performance shop. So I'm going to pull the motor, tow it down free of charge (thanks to CAA), and have them swap it in. :D

Thanks again.

mrdirty
01-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Titan
Alright, thanks everyone.

I won't be swapping her out until next winter, because I've found a great deal on an sr20 here in Ontario from a respectable performance shop. So I'm going to pull the motor, tow it down free of charge (thanks to CAA), and have them swap it in. :D

Thanks again.

where in ontario, which shop?

Titan
01-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by mrdirty
where in ontario, which shop?

CP-Racing in Orangeville, near Toronto.

Approx. $2200 for the motor, tranny, ecu, wiring harness, intercooler, etc... (complete, and the motor/tranny is guaranteed to be sub-50,000 km)
And I get a personal special of $40 an hour labour... cuz I'm special. :D

These are all Canadian funds mind you.

Don't jump on the bandwagon yet! I don't want the prices of sr20's to sky rocket here in Canada!