PDA

View Full Version : H&R Stud fitment problem (URGENT!)

Tubed4evr
01-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Hey guys I am in kind of a bind . . . My car is at a shop getting longer studs put in from the H&R 20mm spacer kit. I just got a call saying that the new studs are not fitting properly (he said you can pop them right out). He said that the shoulder is not long enough to secure the stud in there and it is not safe. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there some sort of trick he can try to make them tighter. He said the hub looks just fine. I do have another hub from a junkyard on the way for the other side and I am anxious to see how that side fits. But I cannot put my stock studs back in since they sheared 2 of them while taking them out. PLEASE HELP!!

Tubed4evr
01-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Ok I went up there to check it out and they got one stud in. The issue that he was concerned about was there is that you can wiggle the stud just slighty. It is secure (as in you cannot just push it out or turn it or anything). But he does not feel this is satisfactory. Anyone have experience with this? Is this acceptable? Just a side note: I believe this wiggle comes from the fact that the shoulder on the H&R stud is only about half as long as the stock Nissan one.

Oh and the hub does not appear to be damaged at all.

hooter
01-04-2003, 10:39 AM
The H&R studs don't fit that well. I wouldn't use them.

You have two choice that I know of:

Use the Nismo studs. Fit like factory. The thing is, they are expensive.

Use ARP studs. You can check them out on PDM-Racing.com. However, you will need to get new lugnuts in order to use them as the thread pitch is different (12x1.5mm used on Honda, Mazda, etc vs. 12x1.25 for Nissan).

Otherwise, try taking one of the studs off and taking it to a local auto parts store to see if they can find some other OEM one that matches but is longer.

-Charlie

turbo240sx
01-04-2003, 12:16 PM
the H and R studs i got were not fitting right either, i got the ones from PDM and used a GM thread pitch lugnut.

Tubed4evr
01-04-2003, 01:10 PM
thanks you guys . . . I will have Nismo studs overnighted on Monday. It really sucks that I have never heard of this problem before this morning. Everyone always recommends H&R's spacer kits.

piratepete420
01-06-2003, 09:44 AM
The rear and the front studs are different. The "shoulder" on the front studs is twice as long and i think a little wider. So the rear studs don't fit very tight in front and the front studs don't fit at all in the rear.

UK_S14
01-07-2003, 08:25 AM
I have H&R 15mm studs and spacers up front on my 98 S14 and they fitted perfectly. The front and rear studs are different, you have to specify which ones you want when ordering the spacers.

Also, how did they manage to shear the original studs when removing them? All you need to do is put an old lug nut on the end and hit them with a hammer...

Tubed4evr
01-07-2003, 09:51 AM
they sheared when the lugnuts were being removed. I think the lugs were seized. I contacted H&R and the technical rep and I had a long coversation and he is looking into the fitment problem. He said this is the first case he has heard of. I told him that the front and rear hub of the S13 240 is a different width and he told me the he only has one part number for the car so he is going to get a stock Nissan stud and compare it to the H&R. I did this and it is very obvious what the problem is. He is going to keep me updated so I will let you guys know of any developments. Until then I would stay away from H&R studs because I am not the only who has run into problems.

planb
01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
dont over pay for the nismo studs, theres no reason to buy those if you have a s13. Get the ARP ones from summit. i think its like 10$ for a pack of 5.