PDA

View Full Version : Which turbo kit?

brage
01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Okay, I am interested in either getting a turbo kit or fabricating some sort of kit. I am leaning towards the kit b/c everything in a kit is usually tuned and ready to run for the most part. I don't really want to risk blowing the motor (which I JUST swapped in) because of some part that I get wrong during the install ;)

Now as far as I know there are basically 3 kits to choose from for the KA - FMax, XS Engineering, and NSport.

pricing for the nsport kit and xs engineering kits seem to be near $3500, while I am getting quotes for the F-Max kit near $4000 where the JWT ECU is not included.

What are everyones comments on the subject? I know TY runs the F-Max kit and it was originally installed by one of the guys who is now with Intense Motorsports afaik. The NSport kit is quite cheaper, comes with a Skyline FMIC, and doesn't require a computer change (just upgraded fuel pump and FMU) I have seen a lot of positive posts on other boards regarding the NSport kit.

I don't really think much of XS Engineering - that kit looks like crap compared to the other two.

My only concern with F-Max is the wait for the ECU from JWT, which I have seen people quote a 6 month lead time. I am leaning towards the NSport kit..

-Jeff

boosteds14
01-03-2003, 10:52 AM
well intense motorsports does not include the ecu with the f-max kit. call them. nobody does anymore.

the ecu will not take 6 months. i sent three out last month and got them back this week.

DarkRaptor42
01-03-2003, 01:34 PM
If your going with a KAT dont buy a kit. Thats just my approch. The only thing Im missing at this point is the Intercooler, and im under 1000 right now. heres what I have:

Custom mani $200
Down pipe 120
IC Piping $200
T3 Turbo (will get replaced eventually but works for the time being) 30 + 70 rebuild
Tial wastegate 200
HKS SSQV 200

Things I still need:
SAFC 300
Intercooler 300
SR Injectors 150

So this is alot cheaper than a kit but it takes longer to put together. Thats just my approach to it cause I didnt have all the cash to drop at once. Eventually Ill end up with bigger injectors, and a T3/T4. It take awhile but I have a goal to hit too, I want to out race my dads 350z so I have competition. Even if you have the cash for a kit though Id still go with a custom setup. You can get alot of really high quality stuff. My setup is for the lower Psi range but Ill work my way up.

AceInHole
01-03-2003, 06:48 PM
All the little things will add up too. For instance, oil lines will be anywhere from $50 to $100. IC pipe adapters, new vacuum lines and T's, boost and a/f gauges ($100), a new clutch ($300).... it all adds up.

Just so you know, a friend of mine has a 240z clutch, which supposedly holds a bit more than the stock clutch. At 4psi, he's slipping.

boosteds14... what are you doing with 3 JWT ECU's?? :p