PDA

View Full Version : PFC Boost Control Kit Not Working..

Jlee
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey, so I have a Power FC L-Jetro 415-N014 for a s13 redtop sr. I recently bought the apexi boost control kit 415-A001 which turns out is the wrong boost control kit. The difference being in the plugs. The kit I was supposed to get was 415-A013

My power fc has a 5 pin plug for boost control kit. But the kit I got is only a 3 pin plug. I did some research and found this...

Apexi PowerFC FAQ (http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/docs/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#38)

So clearly the boost control kit I got was type 1. So what I tried to do was, shave down the 3 pin plug to fit onto the first 3 pins. And then I got a 2 pin plug and wired up the solenoid. Everything should be right. It goes...

1st pin : MAP power
2nd pin: MAP signal
3rd pin: MAP Ground
4th pin: Solenoid Positive
5th pin: Solenoid Negative

So it should basically look like the harness on the proper kit.
http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/docs/powerfc-faq/PFC_BCK.jpg

After wiring it up and plugging it into the Power FC. I went into ETC and then FUNCTION SELECT and I turn the Boost control Kit to ON which is the japanese symbol without the +sign. But after doing that, when I go to Boost reading it stays the same and shows...
Boost: -----

Any ideas as to how I can get this to work? Much appreciated.

Jon

Jlee
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
can anyone shed some light on my situation? I really need to get this figured out before tomorrow cause my car is getting dyno tuned. thanks.

Jon

s13silvia123
08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
you'll have to get the right PFC boost controll unit for your PFC. theres a few different one for each car.

Jlee
08-05-2008, 10:45 AM
i know i've got the wrong kit, but isn't the difference between the kits in the harness plug? one being 3 pin and one being 5 pin?

i got the 3 pin one but my power fc requires the 5 pin one. so i modded the 3 pin that i have.

Jon

Jlee
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, I called apexi... they did tell me that what i did to the harness will work for me. But it's still not working... I also took a multimeter to the 5 pins and came up with this...

In order from left to right
1st pin: Power
2nd pin: not sure, it should be signal but not sure how to test for that
3rd pin: Ground
4th pin: Power
5th pin: doesn't seem to show anything, it should be ground but I got nothing from it.

Anyone please shed some light onto my situation. I need to get this done in order to get dyno tuned.

Thanks.

Jon

motronic
08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
If the boost does not show any reading then either the MAP is not connected right or the MAP is a wrong map. I have heard that the MAP there maybe different MAP depending on which kits. Maybe you should verify the part number for the MAP sensor first?

Jlee
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Just called apexi... and they said the map sensors are the same on the kit that i have 415-A001 and the kit I needed 415-A013. And in fact, the difference between the kits is only the end plug. And even with them saying that, they told me how I modded my plug would work as well.

So this leads me to believe that maybe the map sensor is faulty. Any ideas as to how i can check if it's faulty? What would I need? Thanks.

Jon