PDA

View Full Version : SR won't start timing? help?

turboh224g
08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a freshly rebuilt redtop that I have been trying to get started for quite a while now. The engine is in a track only s13 with just an engine harness. I have been through all of the electrical items and am pretty confident we have everything sorted out there. Car is getting fuel and spark and turns over but will not start. car regularly backfires and sounds like it is going to catch but doesn't. I would think this is a timing issue. I set the timing according to the fsm when I rebuilt, how can I check to make sure the timing is right? I can't seem to get a timing light to work just turning the car over. Any suggestions? Thanks,
JKP

kevtrinh
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
it is def your timing...if its backfiring its possible that its 180 degrees off. your cas maybe bad too but that's pretty rare

turboh224g
08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
checked cas it is fine. Would the car backfire if it was 180 out? If I set it according to the fsm could I have it off that much? Crank was definately at tdc and cam gears only go on one way and the links are color coded on the chain. Thanks,
JKP

fliprayzin240sx
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Sounds like mechanical timing. Look back into your FSM and look at the page when you put the timing chain onto the crank, if some how it skipped before you slapped the oil pump cover on, then your chain link marks will be off too.

aNskY
08-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Sounds like mechanical timing. Look back into your FSM and look at the page when you put the timing chain onto the crank, if some how it skipped before you slapped the oil pump cover on, then your chain link marks will be off too.

yeah i was thinking the same.. if you dropped the chain while putting the head on or something, or ever let it drop, more than likely the crank sproket mark (gold link) got effed. everything up top will look fine but you will be a good amount off and it wont start (happened to me lol)

check the compression, if its seriously low, your timing is wack

turboh224g
08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I don't think I lined up the chain wrong but if I can't get it to start that may be the issue. Since this is a fresh rebuild I won't be able to get an acurate read on compression until the rings seat, right? Thanks,
JKP

aNskY
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't think I lined up the chain wrong but if I can't get it to start that may be the issue. Since this is a fresh rebuild I won't be able to get an acurate read on compression until the rings seat, right? Thanks,
JKP

I didnt think i did either (when it skipped on me) until i verified fuel and spark, decided to check comp and saw 50 across all four. out comes the engine again! lol

im not sure about compression on fresh rings, but i assume it will be substantially greater than 50, id say if (depending on your build ratio)you are near fsm spec range you are fine, but if its seriously low like mine your timing is off

bb.b0y
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
i have the same problem mine is reading 60 compression on all four.......need help????