PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb exhaust question: clearence and silencers

TheTimanator
12-31-2002, 01:46 PM
I will be going with the N1 or N1 dual. I read the reviews and I searched the forum but there wasn't much about clearence issues and the use of silencers so my questions are:

Is the N1 dual quiet enough to be driving on the highway without the silnecers in? do they come with them? I damage my hearing a lot with my last car so...I'm going to be really careful this time when it comes to loudness. (at cruzing speed, inside the car with the windows rolled up, it was 112 dbs! :eek: )

I read in one of the reviews that the N1 dual had clearence issuses. Is this true of the N1 single as well?

I will be installing am SR in the near future, so that will be a factor. BTW in case you missed it, I searched the forum already. :D Thanks for your help!

gschroeder78
12-31-2002, 03:05 PM
I don't know of any clearance issues with the NI Dual. Mine fits perfectly of course its on a coupe. I don't know if that makes a difference. As far as loudness? They are I bit louder than normal I think but nothing crazy. It's more of a deep tone and I'd say nowhere near 112db. I also recently put silencers on just to get it as close to normal as i could. IMO it helps a little bit and even seems to change the powerband a bit but I can't say they were worth the $80 I paid.

So in conclusion :D IMO, they aren't loud enough to need silencers and you shouldn't have any clearance issues.

Agent_S13
12-31-2002, 03:42 PM
I think the clearance issues are using the N1 Dual with swaybars. I think with the stock bars you should be alright, but if you already have a set of aftermarket bars (either Whiteline and ST), then you might have "clearance issues" since they didn't design them with the N1 dual in mind. If you have a stock bar, you should be fine and not have to worry about that. I also think that its angled up so you should be alright with speed bumps and such if that was your "clearance" question.

As for the silencers, everyone has footage (sound bytes) of their exhausts w/out the silencers in them... anyone got them with them in? That would be nice to compare, especially for situations for Timanator. As for buying silencers, they don't come with the exhausts and you'll have to shell out another $80 for them ($40 each last time I checked).

I wanted an N1 dual for their uniqueness (only our cars and RX-7's can get them) but I got a great price for my fireball so I can't really complain.

HTH

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

Drifted off road
01-01-2003, 10:22 AM
yea i have the n1 duals on my s13 hatch and i dont have any clearance issues. also it does get quite a bit louder when u get an intake but agian not near 112dbs. and the silencers lower the sound 7dbs. hope that helps ya. good luck.

BEISSEN
01-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Ok everyone its "Duel" not dualok but the N1 has a small clearance issue when it comes to big sped bumps even when you are not lowered but that is due to two pips coming off not just one like the stock.I have the N1 and I love it it quiets down on th highway at about 60 until it warms up then it is rreal deep.I also have a n intak with it so that makes t a bit loude.I noticed this onwe installed my friends exhaust and he has no intake and his is real mellow but when he gets on it gets loud.The silencs drop the toneto almost stock with a nicer deep tone but not as loud as it is without silencers.

misnomer
01-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Duel:

Main Entry: 1du·el
Pronunciation: 'dü-&l also 'dyü-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin duellum, from Old Latin, war
Date: 15th century
1 : a combat between two persons; specifically : a formal combat with weapons fought between two persons in the presence of witnesses
2 : a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces; also : a hard-fought contest between two opponents

Dual:
Main Entry: 1du·al
Pronunciation: 'dü(-&)l also 'dyü-&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin dualis, from duo two -- more at TWO
Date: 1607
1 of grammatical number : denoting reference to two
2 a : consisting of two parts or elements or having two like parts : DOUBLE b : having a double character or nature

Very very different meanings. An exhaust has little to do with conflict or a struggle of ideas. It would take a slick marketting trick to make that one make sense :-) Cross referenced with A'PEXi, it's dual :P

That's all I have to add. . . Carry on.

mrmephistopheles
01-02-2003, 01:01 AM
my .02c:
I have a '91 fastback with N1 Dual exhaust and Whiteline swaybars. I experience no clearance issues.

TheTimanator
01-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know how loud the N1 single with the silencer? would it be comfortable on the highway?

s14slide
01-05-2003, 01:59 PM
I got an N1 single on my '95 and on the freeway w/out silencers it can be a bit loud if you have stock headers and cat(ka24de) but its definately bearable, but must factor in that I may have a higher tolerance (or going deaf, depends on how you look at it) for noise because I work around jet engines and prop jobs all day. I don't have a silencer yet but really need one since I put in my headers. I find it annoyingly loud w/ one. Now would a 7db drop really help me, I don't know. So on that note, does anyone know what the size specs are for the silencer on the N1 single turbo size pipe. I might be able to get a friend to fab one for me. Sorry for bitin the post guys, but I'm to lazy to go ahead and post another.