PDA

View Full Version : "Popping" sound coming from passenger rear suspension

wh0aitznic0
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
I recently upgraded my suspension setup from Sportlines w/ blown shocks to JIC FLT-A2's. I still have stock S13 SE alloys with 205/60's on them (balloons). I went out for a drive and I expected them already to be bouncy since I still have those flexy ass tires. But whenever I hit a bump or something i hear a popping sound coming from my passenger rear suspension area. My battery is relocated back there but I made sure that it wasn't that since it's bolted down TIGHT. In my head right now I'm thinking sway bar end links because that's what a friend of mine said the symptom would be. Any help would be appreciated.

ZX88
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
make sure you preloaded your springs correctly make sure the collars are tight/. it could be many things we need more info.

gprb25
07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
It could be the subframe bushings popping, or it could be the actual coilover.

Have a friend ride with you in the back and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If its the coilover, you could just need to tighten the top bolt.

wh0aitznic0
07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Collars are tight and now that I listened more carefully, it's coming from the rear area in general not just the passenger side. It may be in my head but I'll try tightening the top bolt tomorrow. If it's the subframe bushings, do you guys recommend just straight up going with the aftermarket subframe bushings or regular replacement rubbers ?

EDIT: ++rep for both of you for helping.

rebornS14
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
i used aftermarket subframe bushings and it got rid of the clipping noise when i went over bumps and stuff.

wh0aitznic0
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Thanks. Is there any way to make these coilovers feel "decent" on the street ? Lol, I know the FLT-A2 were meant for heavy duty track use but goddamn they're stiff as hell on the street and bounce. It may be bouncing because of my baloon (205/60/15's) tires ?

gprb25
08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks. Is there any way to make these coilovers feel "decent" on the street ? Lol, I know the FLT-A2 were meant for heavy duty track use but goddamn they're stiff as hell on the street and bounce. It may be bouncing because of my baloon (205/60/15's) tires ?

Well i dont think there is anyway to make it feel comfortable, like a strut and spring combo, but you could try taking some preload off. Hand tighten it and then give it one slight turn with the spanner. Also, turn the adjustment knob all the way down and drive, see if it feels better....and get new tires! haha

With subframe bushings, dont buy the aluminum inserts cause if you're wanting the car to feel decent on the street, they aren't for you. Look up peak performance and get some of theirs. They are slip on and help out a bunch. And not noisy.

wolfgangstbd
08-07-2008, 03:01 AM
chances are the coilovers are bouncy because they have poor valving... its a hit or miss with most jdm coils but for the price who cares.. im pretty sure if u got rid of the balloon tires an got some 40 or 45 series ur ride would probably get a lil more ruff but if ur gonna buy coilovers for DD dont expct comfort.. but congrats on the new suspension!:)

jbuckley
08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
we had a popping on my fc when i slammed it with stance coilovers.

it was a combination of bad balljoints and tie rod ends popping at weird angles.

Sileighty_DRFT89
09-25-2008, 05:20 PM
my pbm coil int he rear passenger is doing the same thing. its getting worked on as I post this. interesting about the top nut. I should've tried messing with that

wh0aitznic0
09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I got some Spec V wheels with 215/45's and the bouncing stopped. I also tightened the top nut on the right rear coilover and the popping in the rear stopped too. THANKS GUYS !!

Now to just fix the popping in the front. I have a bad ball joint in the front left and a bad tension rod bushing in the front right.

Koopa Troopa
09-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Subframe bushings are more than likely shot and the subframe is lifting and hitting the bottom of your car.

Your pillowball mount could be loose.

Could be balljoints blown out and making noise.

JoHn E
01-08-2009, 04:39 PM
was this popping sound loud? i have a popping sound from my rear passenger side

did you only hear it when u went over parts of the road that make ur car dip? mine isnt too loud and i can only hear it when my windows are up. its more like a click. i dont hear it when i go over speed bumps but i hear it if i go over part of the road that wasnt level and my car would dip

im just trying to see if its the same thing i have so i can try doing the same thing u guys mentioned

S-Nation S13
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
lol im havin the same sound coming from the same side..on my car its the sub-frame hittin my actual frame ill post a picture tomorrow its dark outside..bump stop on the subframe looks like its not even there was told sub-frame spacer would fix the problem...is this true sorry to thread jack but if it helps there you go problemo solved ;)

suspension:
tein flex ..slammed as far as i can go but imma raise it looks ghetto on stock se with weak offset ahh i look like a honda with mad negative camber...BOO!!!

redline racer510
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
like previous post said it could be your subframe bushings bouncing around im assuming your car is over 15 years old and require the replacement of most bushings on your car but it wouldn't hurt to say that the springs arent seating correctly on the strut and could also be bouncing around creating a popping noise. try preloading the springs and if that doesnt work check and replace your subframe bushings. sorry for the long read btw