PDA

View Full Version : oil pan gasket?

datkwikracer
12-30-2002, 03:33 AM
how often does the oil pan gasket have to be changed? cuz i got my car up on jackstands today for the first time and noticed some oil droplets on the oil pan, i had noticed them while making oil changes but do to my jack(dont get up to high) i couldnt get down there to check it out, anyways, my s13 has 146k mi so i think its due. so I bought the gasket yesterday. and was thinking about changing it i got the silicon also(ultra blue rtv.)

so is this basically drain oil, bolt off oil pan, remove gasket, spread silicon on both sides of new gasket, and bolt on? or is it more complicated?:confused:

it looks like its a b**** to take out the pan and a lot of small bolts some look kinda hard to reach. i think thats it i'll prolly start after some feedback so thanx in advance.

gschroeder78
12-30-2002, 10:48 PM
There isn't really a time frame that I know of for oilpan gaskets. If it leaks it's time to "think" about redoing it.If you have access to a lift it is somewhat straight forward but from my experience with a 300zx, you either have to drop the subframe or pull the engine I'm guessing the 240sx is similar. I've just never paid attention to how the oil pan is situated. Alot of people will tell you not to bother unless you are leaking alot of oil since there isn't any oil pressure there anyways.

Garrett

AceInHole
12-31-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by datkwikracer
so is this basically drain oil, bolt off oil pan, remove gasket, spread silicon on both sides of new gasket, and bolt on? or is it more complicated?:confused:

I've heard the harder part is getting the pan off without damaging the oil pickup, which you can do by dropping the front cross member a few inches. I'm planning on changing the "gasket" on my oil pan as soon as i have time to get it on jackstands since I have to get all 4 of my rotors turned anyways.

maccrank
04-17-2003, 12:39 PM
people I have the similar problem but I have a S-14.
I went to a mechanic and he said with experience from a 300zx he'll problably have to lift the engine to change the gasket.
and since i don't have the equipment to do that I guess I'll have to pay him to do it.
I got the labor for $80 : )
and called a shop they charge $185
anyways does anyone know if you HAVE to lift the engine, if not i'll try and change it my self

Luke
04-17-2003, 01:15 PM
It is a pain in the ass, i had to remove my oil pan once. You have to unbolt the engine from the motor mounts, remove the front sway bar, unbolt these 2 covers that connect to the bell housing on teh trans, unbolt the oil pan, jack the engine up from the bell housing on the trans so the oil pan would clear the cross member.

if you have a bad leak, it would be worth it, but if not, i wouldn't bother..

Jeff240sx
04-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Am I missing something?
There is no oil pan gasket... it's forma-gasket crap, and looks most like the Permatex Grey liquid gasket.
If you've sprung a leak, you can unbolt the motor mounts and tranny mounts, and jack up the engine a few inches. Then unbolt the pan, and reach in there and unbolt the oil pickup. Slide the pan out, scrape off all forma-gasket residue, and apply a new bead in the groove.
-Jeff

Jeff240sx
04-17-2003, 01:21 PM
I know what I'm missing! This topic is 5 months old.
WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP REPLYING TO OLD THREADS!?!?
-Jeff

AceInHole
04-17-2003, 01:29 PM
While the topic is back up:

You don't have to lift the engine. Once you have a gap between the oil pan and the engine you can get a wrench in and unbolt the oil pickup. It's better to lift the engine if you can, though.

Also, to prevent leaks in the future, use Nissan silicone. It costs 10x more, but you get what you pay for.

Luke
04-18-2003, 10:22 AM
haha old topics are funny

i also forgot to mention how fun it is to lower the engine back into the mounts..

AceInHole
04-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Luke
haha old topics are funny

i also forgot to mention how fun it is to lower the engine back into the mounts..

it is when you have a big ass crowbar :D