PDA

View Full Version : Braided hose for fuel submersion

the head
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if there are adverse affects of using braided AN hose in a submerged fuel application?

I know in rubber hose you need submersion rated hoses but I am unsure if -6 braided hose has the same issues with fuel submersion as the rubber hoses do

g6civcx
07-30-2008, 12:13 PM
-6AN is a sizing standard. Braided = twisting something together to give flexibility and strength.

It depends on the hose material.

What are you trying to do?

s15specR
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Get the teflon ss braided hose instead of rubber type

japslapsilvia
07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
i may be wrong here but isnt braided hose usu 2 layers of braided material "bonded" to a rubber hose....whether is teflon or not...the steel is still bonded....so wont the fuel affect the bonding materal?

the head
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
-6AN is a sizing standard. Braided = twisting something together to give flexibility and strength.

It depends on the hose material.

What are you trying to do?

Switching to an external pump system and needed to plumb a fuel pickup in the tank

I am using Aeroquip AQP which is braid over rubber Its rated for fuel but I know a lot of fuel lines will turn to mush in submersion situations

Master Chief
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Use teflon hoses !!!

the head
07-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Use teflon hoses !!!

No factory automobile uses teflon hoses in its fuel tank not to mention teflon doesnt have the stretch necessary to go over a hose barb this is not a pressure line I am just asking if what I have will work I can get fuel submersion rubber line if necessary I just wanted to know if what I already had in my shop would work.

Master Chief
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Teflon is not used by OEM manufacturers because it is Expensive.
Teflon is the Recomanded material for Fuel lines in motorsport.

What you have is a Rubber hose, with Braid over it - Yes ?
If the rubber hose is rated for fuel, then it wont be a problem.
The braid itself, might get uxidized beeing submerged in the tank.
Why not use simply rubber hoses, rated for fuel ?

the head
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Teflon is not used by OEM manufacturers because it is Expensive.
Teflon is the Recomanded material for Fuel lines in motorsport.

What you have is a Rubber hose, with Braid over it - Yes ?
If the rubber hose is rated for fuel, then it wont be a problem.
The braid itself, might get uxidized beeing submerged in the tank.
Why not use simply rubber hoses, rated for fuel ?

There are two different rubber ratings for fuel hose one is to run line the other is for submersed service they are two completely different types of rubber as the stuff not rated for submersion will turn to putty in about four weeks inside of a fuel tank.

In what racing series are they running teflon hoses for fuel...I have been around a lot of race vehicles and they all are using standard an line which is rubber under steel braid.