PDA

View Full Version : sr20 240 will not start! help please!

wagner
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I was on my way to work when my MAF shat out on me and started to sputter and pop so I took the MAF plug out to run it in safe mode so I could drive it home (1/10th of a mile), and now the car won't start.
. (it gets gas and I'm [pretty positive it gets spark aswell because its almost turned over afew times, I tried to rollstart and pop the clutch with no avail also.)

help please

sean

zugoi
07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I would double check if it gets a good spark.Just because its about to turn over doesnt mean its getting power.

Z U L8R
07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
check your plugs and see if they're fouled.

Dave

xxsptcuztomsxx
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
go through a quick systems check...from the most likely cause to the least likely cause....you could also start by checkin the cheapest repair first and work your way up...here are some things to go over and test:

check your timing? also like others have stated...check your spark plugs AND your coilpacks....maybe the ignitor...check ecu codes...see if any of the sensors are malfunctioning.....i bet the plugs are fouled...through some cheap ngk coppers in there n see if it starts....good luck

wagner
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
I appreciate the input guys, I did some looking around today and came up with a few ideas. The wiring job doesn't look so great on the car, however I'm new to nissans, so it could just be the way theyre all done. However, sometimes the brake and engine LED's flicker, so I wonder if all the wiring was done right. The plug that goes into the MAF is spliced and soldered on as though it had been replaced before. There are four wires coming out of it, only three are wired. I did some poking around looking at fuses, and the engine cont. small 10a fuse was blown, so I replaced it. But, I think the engine may have had too much fuel after I replaced it to start so I'm giving it time to clear out before I attempt again. My volts read consistently about 12.0 fluctuating ± .1 or .2 My battery is solid, its a gel type red optima that has been relocated to the trunk. I have a subwoofer hooked up in the trunk but I disconnected it to make sure that wasn't the issue robbing spark or something of that nature.

The car was driving fine the night before, I had went on the omaha ice cream cruise which is roughly 60 miles round trip of easy paced driving drove it home, started it up a few hours later to pick up a buddy and dropped him off and went back home. I woke up the next morning to go to work and it was driving fine, and then just a few blocks from my house it started to sputter very badly, I knew it had a pre-existing problem with that spliced plug so I looked at it, (it wouldn't stay running with it plugged in) so I unplugged it and it went into safe mode and drove fine (up to 2500 rpms) . So, I drove the car home and shut it off, and then had to back it out of my drive way and move it onto the street about 15 minutes later so it did start again. After that, I picked up a ride to work came home and it wouldn't start. Maybe that will help give a prognosis to the situation

turboboost12004
07-30-2008, 12:45 AM
maybe your fuel pump? check that!! mine did that when i had it!

hassanbakar123
07-30-2008, 01:00 AM
if it got gas why would he check the fuel pump

wagner
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah, I definitely have fuel going in.