PDA

View Full Version : any other FMUs besides AFCs and JWT?

SilviaDriver
12-25-2002, 01:37 PM
wat other FMUs are there for our cars besides going with the JWT and the AFCs? any stand alone or anything like wat Hondas have like Hondata?

240racer
12-25-2002, 04:47 PM
we can run any stand alone unit that the Hondas can, if they are fully programable. Haltech, Autronic, EMS, AEM (race version), Motec, etc.
The JWT is a stock ecu reprogram thing, that means you have them "fix" the stock computer to make up for things you have changed.
The other piggy back units are the same for all cars

SilviaDriver
12-26-2002, 02:31 AM
well u must be thinking of all these crazy racing etc when u think of CA, but that mainly happens in SoCal. NorCal aint all that big IMO. where i live i only saw ONE s14 turbo. i hear about it for other cars like hondas, but i just want to know wat 240 people mainly use. i always hear JWT and AFCs but i really dont wanna go JWT and all the chipping. and just looking for other options besides AFCs. i didnt even know AEM made a stand alone for our cars. and i only had 2 post. 1 post ofr JUNKYARD turbo kits. and another post for other FMUs. i juss took the last question on the Junkyard turbo kit and made a new one, since i didnt want to whore the other post, and i doubt nobody will ever look at it again, so i made this one so people can view it.

drift freaq
12-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Disclaimer: E-manage+PowerFC are more "SR orientated"
So living in the Republic of California these may not be viable options.

you are either not a california resident or are completely unfamilar as to what you can get away with here in cali.
PowerFC's are the straight up bomb giving you complete control over your tuning curves. You could actually set one up to mimic your factory smog settings.
All you guys from out of cali think you can't run SR's here.
Fact is there are a lot of SR's in socal. which is Smog II. which is the strictest smog test standards in the nation and the SR's are passing tailpipe.
On the visual side of things the only thing SR's are missing is AIV. They have egr in Japan and the engines come in with the egr intact its usually the owner who removes the egr . Which is not necssary because the engine performs well even with the egr intact.
none the less I digress . He could use the Power FC on his turbo KA if he so wished or he could use a JWT. Or even the E_manage.

SilviaDriver
12-26-2002, 11:24 PM
thanks for the advice, im well aware wat we can get away with in CA. let this post be informative, not a flame war.

Foxcolt
12-27-2002, 08:27 AM
The Power FC will not work on a KA.

JWT - Probably the best for your application

Greddy E Manage - Great system better than AFC. Requires a lot of knowledge to tune though.
E manage is not SR orientated. I don't know of anyone using it on his/her SR. It's on the same par as the AFC, universal.

AFC - Crap, but you can get it to work if your so inclined

Standalones - That's a whole other world. I doubt that your willing to take the steps needed to get a good standalone up and running. Kiss your wiring harness plus sensors goodbye if you do.

FYI - AEM does not make a system for our cars. They are working on one for the SR as there is a guy who is retrofitting a honda system to work on his SR. He's having to make his own wiring harness though. Not fun.

I'd say your best bet is to go ahead and shell out the money for a JWT/370cc injectors/cobra mafs. Then sometime in the near future invest in an AFC/E-mange/other cheap air/fuel controller to dial out some of the extra fuel you'll encounter with the JWT.

SilviaDriver
12-27-2002, 04:05 PM
what do you guys recommend to run with an SR? no personal exp. needed, just wat your opinion is for the best FMU to run for SR

240racer
12-27-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the AEM was plug and play for the 240, it is not. I wouldn't expect it to be anytime soon. There just simply isn't enough demand. I have 2 friends that are running it, one is a 2g DSM on a 1g and the other is a honda on a MKIII supra. It isn't pretty, but works awesome. I would be doing it if I needed more power (future?)

DarkRaptor42
12-29-2002, 10:05 PM
so the AEM FCU can be put on a 240 if need be? Youd just have to redo the wiring and then tune it right? Like an apexi safc?

drift freaq
12-30-2002, 12:09 AM
What is up peoples butts on Zilvia these days?!?
Everyone knows about Cali's "infamous" smog laws.
You can't run an SR- according to the law- anywhere in America....
Most states don't even have emissions tests- while some large metro areas will have a sniffer test- while CALIFORNIA ADDS A VISUAL TEST.
So maybe someone doesn't want to chance it not passing, jeez, you're going to take issue with that?!?
You are only "getting away with it" until you get caught. Which may never happen. But it's a risk you have to be willing to take.

I'm an SR owner too, and I don't have to worry- I don't live in Cali.
But the topic poster lives in Cali so I wanted to throw in that little piece of sound advice.
Have a nice day!

well James, maybe if you chose better words for your post you would not get flamed. When you call my state the republic of california I feel the need to correct your misperceptions.
I don't diss other parts of the country stop dissing Cali .
The statement you made is a very misinformed statement James and seeing as you are not a resident, then you really have no grounds to speak.
So just leave your caustic statements about our state out of your posts.

Heres one for Silvia driver, The power FC would most likely be the best choice for a plug and play replacement of your ecu for your SR. It gives a lot of control and it works and works well.