PDA

View Full Version : tuning: egt vs. water temp?

turbo2nr
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
so when tuning a car its important to know what is going on inside the motor.
hi internal combustion temp. lead to detination. now when tuning we pay attention to airfuel and engine temperature.

so now which is the best way to keep an account for this? i hear egt form some and water temp form others.

egt: will be able to monitor the exhaust gass and you can see how hot or cold it becomes as you add or take away timing and fuel, so far from what i read and experinced this is the best way.

talking to a friend yesterday he brought up a good point about the water temp, which i didnt think about:
he was explaining when tuning a motor its important to look at engine temp. he was saying that water temperature would be a better way of monitoring this then egt, reason being becasue water boils around 212f, you dont want to get near that, he was explain that the close you get to the water/coolent boiling, the more heat your engine is producing, and the easier it is to blow.. he was saying that you could take into account for this eaiser by paying attention to the water temp gauge instead of the egt gauge.

my question: can some one explain in more detail how the water temp is directly related to combustion temp. and how it will lead to an ealier indication of high engine temp then an egt gauge.

thanks

!Zar!
07-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Tuning is best done though measuring the amount of fuel particles in the exhaust that is being expelled.

Your idea would be something you would just keep an eye on. Unless it's running lean which would start to raise temps I believe.

I would see that you would get a better and faster reading off of exhaust temps because you don't have a radiator and various other things coming into play which will change the readings. Because if your car is cooled properly it could still stay cool while knocking.

turbo2nr
07-23-2008, 09:25 AM
yes air fuel is the way to tune a car, but air fuel can only take you so far,
timing makes power, to much timing lead to knock and detination.

im trying to figure the best way to monitior engine combustion temp, so i can see how its is directly affected to increasing/decreasing the burn time, also to determine when the would be the best time to inject a cooling agent such as meth..

jskateborders
07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
water temp, knock sensor, a/f gauge.

umsports
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Sure water temp is important but not something that I'm watching like crazy on the dyno like I am the A/F's, EGT and Knock. To tune by water temps seems a little crazy because most are taking their water temp reading by the temp of the water entering the head not the temp of what is exiting the motor.

There's a delay so tuning by water temp seems worthless. Of course you need to monitor your temps in case the fans aren't positioned well or if your own fans aren't running well but that's all.