PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Stack

Sway500
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Has anyone every used a velocity stack with their intake system? These are pretty popular for the all-motor honda guys and some of them use them on turbos also. THE BPI Velocity Stacks show pretty good results, granted a 3hp across the board may not be much for some people but still its something. The BPI Stack also has a air filter that can cover the stack.

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/

HyperTek
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
i had a jwt pop charger for my z32 maf i had in my old s13
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/images/350Z_POP_CHARGER.gif

guess it kinda had a velocity stack shape.

DDSR240
07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Velocity stacks are very helpfull and do produce hp and tq gains for all types of fuel injected motors, but theres a lot more to it than I thought the width,length and even the taper have to be calculated before you fab up a intake FYI
Longer,narrower runners optimizelow rpm preformance b/cthey have a lower resinating frequency,and the smaller diameter helps with air velocity and inertial cylinder filling.
While shorter wider runners are better for the high rpm b/c they have a higher resonant frequency plus the larger diameter is less restrictive for all-out air flow.

s13 @ fullboost
07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I used one on my old go-ped haha

Def
07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Velocity stacks are very helpfull and do produce hp and tq gains for all types of fuel injected motors, but theres a lot more to it than I thought the width,length and even the taper have to be calculated before you fab up a intake FYI
Longer,narrower runners optimizelow rpm preformance b/cthey have a lower resinating frequency,and the smaller diameter helps with air velocity and inertial cylinder filling.
While shorter wider runners are better for the high rpm b/c they have a higher resonant frequency plus the larger diameter is less restrictive for all-out air flow.

He's talking a velocity stack on the inlet of the turbo, not velocity stacks in a custom intake manifold. Resonance tuning doesn't play a role in a pre-compressor intake system.

As for velocity stacks, they're always good to use if you've got the space. My filter has a ~5-6" velocity stack built into it.

DDSR240
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
my bad but i hope it still helps somebody.

Sway500
07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
BPi will even send you one for free or refund you the purchase price if you agree to do dyno testing of your before and after. They had a thread on Honda-Tech a while back of this velocity stack vs. a couple of others and it came out on top. There is always a constant argument on if this stack on a 3inch intake arm or if Mugen intake is better. I plan on building some kind of cold arm box and using this stack if I cant find a ARC box for a good price.

BryanPendleton
07-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Offer still stands. We would like to have some independant 3rd party dyno testing performed on this application. You purchase, perform the testing and provide us with the results, and we will send you a free stack or refund the cost of the stack.

If a tuner shop is willing to perform testing, I will send a legitamite shop a free stack for testing.

Contact myself at [email protected]