PDA

View Full Version : bad shock affecting alignment?

1slowS13
07-19-2008, 07:38 PM
okay, im guessing its kind-of obvious.

i got my car aligned with about -2 degrees of camber all around, everything else within spec.

took my car home, jacked up the front, and changed my rack and pinion.

so two days later, i come to get it aligned again, the front is perfect, but the driver side rear is toeing in at .53 degrees with the camber at -2.5

i also noticed while it was on the lift, the car was lopsided, with the driver side rear being lower.

while adjusting the rear toe arms, the most it would go is .53, if you keep turning, itll jump back to .58

and opinions?

INeedNewTires
07-19-2008, 07:41 PM
alignment rack may be fucked up.... or you didnt pull the pins on the slide plates... I hate alignments! I work at a dealership I put my car on one rack, aligned it, then drove it, it felt off, so put it on a different rack, and the numbers were WAY off from the one before... These are INfiniti alignment racks and I had a pro-certified tech help me so i know i didnt fuck it up.... Both were nice hunter machines, one was the lazer kind, and the other was the older kind. sucks, but it seems like the older one made my car drive straighter. GLWAlignment

1slowS13
07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
thanks,

i actually got it aligned where i work. i know the guys so i know they tried. the machine we use is a hunter, i believe dsp600. has the fancy interface that even tells you what tools you need to use.

im still curious is to what made my rear tire toe in a lot, in just a matter of days.

silpena
07-19-2008, 08:52 PM
did u try bounching the car on the rack to see if it would change the specs while adjusting toe?.

Bigsyke
07-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Bring some sand bags, and place them in the drivers side while its getting aligned.

1slowS13
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, I tried bobbing the car up and down, no change.

Im curious to how sandbagging the car will help the alignment once I take them off

racepar1
07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm voting for effed up alignment machine and un-even ride heighth. That's why I take my car to west end alignment, all by hand!

silpena
07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
i wouldnt put sand bags while aligning. Usually u only do that on trucks that are used for construction or work where they carry big ass loads all the time. Is ur car only the car beig affected? or all cars? if only urs then u can rule out screwed up machine. Hows tire pressure looking? ball joints? maybe bad spring?That hunter rack is a pretty damn good one i doubt it would be giving u bad alignments. Ask the guys to check the set back on ur car during alignment, they should know how. Tah can help u check S.A.I.

racepar1
07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
i wouldnt put sand bags while aligning. Usually u only do that on trucks that are used for construction or work where they carry big ass loads all the time. Is ur car only the car beig affected? or all cars? if only urs then u can rule out screwed up machine. Hows tire pressure looking? ball joints? maybe bad spring?

The sandbags are to set the car at the ride heighth it would be at with the driver in the car. They should be approximately the driver's weight.

HunsakerS14
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
The sandbags are to set the car at the ride heighth it would be at with the driver in the car. They should be approximately the driver's weight.

agreed, alot of European cars like the BMW and Mercedes require it.

other then that I dont know man try another alignment machine.

Bigsyke
07-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Sandbag's with good balljoints/tierods and steering rack bushings are key here. After each adjustment they should settle the suspension, and if the balljoints/rack bushings are gone, you will never get a constant setting