PDA

View Full Version : s13. Brighter headlights?

Apparition
12-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Is there anyway I can get brighter headlights? I'm not looking for ricer blue, but something less incadescent yellow. I find in the fog/snow its awful. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and this is for a s13 with flipups.

mrmephistopheles
12-24-2002, 07:50 AM
There are a few ways you can do this:
1. changing your headlights to H4 and using higher wattage bulbs
2. getting an aftermarket HID kit
3. calling clearcorners.com and dropping $1500 on dual projector HID

mbmbmb23
12-24-2002, 12:30 PM
I just got a pair of the new Sylvanias....in the pink box, NOT the blue box...and they are VERY bright....and like $15/each at Pep Boys. They are very worth it IMO.

-M

Apparition
12-24-2002, 01:01 PM
What is H4? Is that a conversion or a different type of bulb?

Never heard of Sylvians. In canada here, no such thing as pep boys. ;) Or at least where I'm at.

mbmbmb23
12-24-2002, 01:10 PM
http://www.sylvania.com/auto/xtra.htm

Goto the "store locator" in the top right corner to find a store near you. What is your postal code there in Ontario?

-m

Dousan_PG
12-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Apparition
What is H4? Is that a conversion or a different type of bulb?

type of bulb
i have Hella Euro type Housings and H4 bulbs. love them. next year (jan/feb) HID and low profile housings! ya!

AKADriver
12-24-2002, 02:13 PM
It's a conversion and a type of bulb, really... since you need the sealed beam-to-H4 conversion housings to use H4 bulbs. Not expensive at all though, compared to bling-bling "HID conversion" whatever. Definitely worth it if you like driving at night, especially for a car like the 240SX that uses a standard square sealed beam headlight. For what I could do to my 240SX's lighting for $80 would cost $450 for my GTI.

Apparition
12-24-2002, 02:20 PM
So going to H4, what exactly do I need?

Dousan_PG
12-24-2002, 02:22 PM
housings and bulbs

Apparition
12-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Alright cool. Thanks. :)

Wei240
12-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Or go check out PDM racing, I believe he (Don) has some Bosch H4 for $60 and he's in Canada too...

EricP
12-26-2002, 08:48 PM
GET RAYBRIGS they are 100 a peice with lights so 200 for all. they are quite brite. Actually really bright, i don't think they are legal. THey have the ones for flip ups. i have a 91 hatch.

Apparition
12-26-2002, 10:32 PM
"Bosch headlight conversion from the factory sealed beams, to these high quality glass lenses that accept high wattage H4 and SuperWhite or Plasma HID bulbs. Kit comes complete with 2 E Code lenses, 2 waterseal boots, and 2 - 55/60 watt H4 Halogen bulbs, and installation instructions"

So the 2 E Code lenses are the housings?

This was a hell of a lot cheaper than I've been looking at too.

Ja_Red_WKU
12-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Last month I tried some of those APC simulated HID headlights and I love 'em. You should try those. Bought 'em at O'reilly's Auto Parts for 15 bucks. The Sylvanias are pretty good too, but I think I like the APC lights better.

KingKong8247
12-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Ok, so do you have to get the housings too or can I just go and buy the sylvanias or APC or whatever, basically just the lights, and put them in? Thanks

AKADriver
12-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Housings and bulbs. That's all you need. PDM Racing's Bosch setup is a great deal at $60. Hella, Cibie, Phillips, and Sylvania/Osram are also good brands if you come across those. Please, please don't try the APC, HID-look crap. please. No offense to Ja_Red_WKU but they're $15 for a reason. Headlights are your car's most basic safety device at night, don't skimp and don't compromise for looks over function.

d240t2
12-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Just a note, you shouldn't upgrade the wattage on the headlight bulbs with stock wiring. The best cheap way to upgrade the headlights is to do what I have done. Get the Hella kit, like the one Don at PDM is selling. Upgrade the wiring with relays and larger gauge wire, and install higher wattage bulbs.

I got the bulbs and relay kit from Daniel Stern at lighting.mbz.org
I think he sells the Hella 6054 H4 E-code kit as well.

Dennis

Ja_Red_WKU
01-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Actually most places sell those APC lights for $40. O'reilly's just has great prices on everything, and I think they might have been on sale, too... I bought 'em around X-mas time. and to answer king kong's question all you need to buy are the bulbs.

knightrider
01-05-2003, 12:01 AM
i dunno if i would ever put anything made by apc on my car, there is the whole ****y manufacturing quality that doesnt strike me as sumthin i would waste my money on

Ja_Red_WKU
01-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Dude... they're headlights... not connecting rods. They're made of plastic. Plastic is plastic...Xenon gas is Xenon gas. You throw it together with a little metal and glass you have a brighter headlight it's not rocket science. It's like saying NOS nitrous is better quality than JG Edlebrock nitrous.

knightrider
01-08-2003, 06:52 PM
im not talking just about thier headlights, dumas, im talking about all of thier products in general, ive seen plenty of them, and the quality is ****y. there are plenty of other quality companies that make 5x better parts than apc, and the prices for some parts, dont differ that much, but on the parts where the price is a big dif, always remember, u get what u pay for, and that $2 u saved might come back to you in frustration when the cheap parts dont fit

AKADriver
01-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Headlight design is a science, actually, and it's easy to screw up.

A proper headlight upgrade isn't just brighter, it also has a sharper, more uniform beam pattern that casts more useful light on the road and less in the eyes of oncoming traffic or off into space.

Ja_Red_WKU
01-10-2003, 04:29 PM
I wasn't talking about the rest product line, retard. I was talking about their headlights. And AKAdriver, you're right about it being a science, but most of that comes into play in the housing design doesn't it?