PDA

View Full Version : Engine finally went, rebuilt advice

916S14
07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
So my engine finally started to smoke and smell like oil. Pulled the plugs and they were covered in oil, did a compression test and checked out good, so i'm guessing its the valve seals? Anyways i want to go ahead and rebuild my engine. I'm aiming at 320 HP max with a s15 turbo that i can drive reliably and beat on all day at the track. So my question is what kind of parts should i get to hit that mark and be reliable? I want to redo the head as in springs, guides, retainers, solid lifters etc... and maybe build the bottom end a little bit with pistons and rods. Theres so many brands out there but i dont really know which to aim for, any input will be appreciated.

blownmotor
07-18-2008, 09:10 PM
check your spark plug seal/grommet

916S14
07-18-2008, 09:17 PM
will that grommet really have that affect on it? i though the oil would build around the spark plug not actually get in the combustion chamber. Mine are ripped i believe.

blownmotor
07-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Well oil will seep itself into the combustion chamber if those grommets are bad.

916S14
07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I will replace the gasket eventually but i just never though that it would let oil get into the combustion chamber causing the car to burn oil and smoke. I did find a lot of oil on the end of the coil as well and all around the spark plug, but how does it let oil into the engine? Wouldn't that theoretically mean that the spark plug should be flying out of the engine due to it not sealing properly? Can someone elaborate this a little more...

916S14
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
bump anyone? i still want to rebuild the head, just curious about that gasket thing.

fliprayzin240sx
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
So my engine finally started to smoke and smell like oil. Pulled the plugs and they were covered in oil, did a compression test and checked out good, so i'm guessing its the valve seals? Anyways i want to go ahead and rebuild my engine. I'm aiming at 320 HP max with a s15 turbo that i can drive reliably and beat on all day at the track. So my question is what kind of parts should i get to hit that mark and be reliable? I want to redo the head as in springs, guides, retainers, solid lifters etc... and maybe build the bottom end a little bit with pistons and rods. Theres so many brands out there but i dont really know which to aim for, any input will be appreciated.

Technically, if 320 is all youre shooting for, theres no point in doing all that. Just get some fresh guides, valves should still be good for the most part since thats the whole point of having valve guides and seals. Theyre there to get worn down, instead of the valves instead. But if you insist, valve guides/seals, springs, titanium retainers, arp studs, HG and rocker arm stoppers and you should be set. There is ABSOLUTELY no need for you to get solid lifters. Brand will be all up to your personal preference and budget. Take a look around Phase2motortrend.com to give you an idea of whats out there and how much they are...

n_my_coupe
07-24-2008, 01:39 AM
whatever you do you need to build the engine evenly if you strengthen the top the bottom will be more vonerable...and visa, versa ya know

Firestorm
07-24-2008, 05:10 AM
whatever you do you need to build the engine evenly if you strengthen the top the bottom will be more vonerable...and visa, versa ya know

ummm what? no. i'm sure you can run a built head on stock bottom end.

as for the OP, 320 hp require almost no strengthening of the engine. just give it an overhaul and you should be set.

oh and by the way: its vulnerable...and vice versa.

916S14
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah i was thinking that, but i just know that once i hit that mark i'm gonna want more... i think i will just rebuild my head to OEM and have it ported and polished and run some cams. As for the gasket for the spark plugs, there is no way that can let oil into the combustion chamber unless the spark plug was loose or something.

ho1ywars
07-24-2008, 08:35 PM
did you check to see if you blew your turbo? is there oil in the intake?

916S14
07-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Gonna check and see if theres oil on the intake tubes, that doesnt mean that the turbo is blown though right? i'm only boosting 7 pounds so i dont think its blow by... well i'll check that tomorrow and post back. But i'm just gonna add that the car was sitting for 3 months and had a tad too much oil in the case. So i'm gonna change oil and plugs and see what happends.

ho1ywars
07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
that could be it to, are you running the stock charcole canister? cause if there is to much oil that will pump that right into your intake before the turbo

916S14
07-25-2008, 02:54 PM
alright here's an update. Yes i'm running the stock canister. I drained some oil to the right level and car wasnt smoking on start. There is oil in the intake but its very minimal, like residue and stuff, i think thats normal. Problem is there is white smoke, like very little white smoke when i'm giving it some gas. I really hope the turbo is not going.... could it be some oil burning off from the turbo? How do you check if the turbo is blown besides taking it apart. Because it spins freely and spools right away and pulls hard. Even when the car was smoking a lot, the smoke smelled like pure gas, but it wasnt black smoke. So i'm still going to change the spark plugs, i hope theres no oil on them right now because i didnt check to see yet. I'll post back.