PDA

View Full Version : More temperature problems, like everyone else, or so it seems

tylerdurdon
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
So it seems like several people have been having problems with temperatures on sr20 here lately. I have been doing some reading, planning, and working on the car. Before i go any further I just wanted to touch base with some of you and see if there were any other ideas.

I just finished rebuilding the engine a couple hundred miles ago. since I rebuilt it, the thing runs great. But for some reason I am getting some heat issues. I can let it idle and it will stay below the half way mark for forever. even driving it around it seems fine, but when i start giving it boost(stock boost) it slowly climbs the temperature scale until it is in the upper portion of the guage.

So i got rid of the clutch fan in favor of a twin electric fan setup that is hooked to relays that kick on as soon as the engine starts. I removed the thermostat all together. It has a large aluminum radiator. I filled the raditor slowly with fluid and as the fluid filled up i would then place the drain plugs back in , in an attempt to get any air pockets out. Then I installed a electric autometer temp guage on the side of the block where the drain plug would go.

Since doing this the engine will still idle at below mid temp and on the autometer guage around 175-180. after driving and giving it boost the stock temp goes to above half way into the 3/4 area and the autometer goes up to 210-220. With the thermo out I think this is way to high and I am looking for reasons why it would be like this.

What I have gotten and I am about to do this weekend. I have gotten an OEM NISSAN thermostat and this is going in. I have gotten a replacement temp sensor from NISSAN and I am replacing that. The car runs the best with the CAS fully advanced which makes me wonder if the timing is wrong on the exhaust side, but I cannot for see the car running this well if the cam is off a tooth. Either way I plan on taking the cover off and re timing it and making sure it is set correctly.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had any extra knowledge or ideas on things to look for. Also there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. no smoke or weird noises. I am very happy with the way it runs , it just seems to get hot. Thank you again for any replies.

tylerdurdon
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
So today I took the valve cover off and checked my cam timing and cas timing and it is dead on. I installed the new thermostat and temp sensor. The car seems to stay a little cooler at idle but once I get it out and get on it, the temp will slowly rise to 220 and above. I am at a real loss for what could be going on. The car pulls real well and has good power through all revs. No hesitation or backfires.

I plan on getting a pressure gauge and testing the compression in each cylinder tomorrow to make sure something is wrong on one of the cylinders. I could really use some advice if anyone has some ideas. Thank you.

fliprayzin240sx
07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Did you bleed it properly to make sure theres no air in the system???

tylerdurdon
07-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Yup, as stated above I slowly filled the system with all drain plugs out of the system. as the coolant would reach one drain plug i would then plug it up.

tylerdurdon
07-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Well cylinder number 3 must have a crack in the upper portion of the wall, that was not caught by the machine shop. Only getting 70 psi in number 3. Anyone got a longblock to sell :coolugh: