PDA

View Full Version : How far can an OEM SR headgasket go?

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 03:20 AM
I've searched and didn't find what I was looking for, just people with set ups and replies with, oh it'll be fine to run the oem headgasket.

I'm wondering how far can you push the oem headgasket? I am still running an OEM headgasket and I put down 329 hp and 355 tq @ 16 psi with a 2860RS. I've ran it under higher boost before with no isses and nothing has happened...... yet. July 19th is the next dyno days and I wanna turn the boost up a little bit more and possibly run a 55 shot of nitrous. No idea if it will handle it or not. I know the motor will as long as i got the timing set right. Besides the nitrous anyone know what the stock hg limit is? Am I more prone to blowing it with the nitrous? If it blows it blows, then I guess it's time to upgrade :D

Jordn
07-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string?

I'd say at the power your running you're not a million miles off finding the limit. It also depends on how your drive, I know guys that use their SR as a DD and have run 350hp for years on the stock HG, yet guys who track and drift their SRs with 300hp who have blown them.

For the relatively low cost, I'd get a metal one put in, if you wait for it to blow you could cause more damage and ultimately more cost.

!Zar!
07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
A lot of it has to do with tuneing. So I'm sure Mr. Steve Shadows will pop up in this thread soon.

IMO, you shouldn't turn turn the power up any more.

But I mean, if you just blow a HG, and you plan on changing it later, then who cares? lol.

Highest I'd want to take a stock sr is 350.

There are some who hit 400 or so.

Just depends on your luck on the dice.

kognition
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I think NOS is a crapshoot. If you like to gamble with your dollars, go for it. But used blown parts don't have much resale value. Save and upgrade.

jrbump
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Boost isn't so much the question as detonation is. The key is the tune, 14lbs on a crap tune will pop your gasket right away, 18 pounds on a really good tune will run all day long.

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Boost isn't so much the question as detonation is. The key is the tune, 14lbs on a crap tune will pop your gasket right away, 18 pounds on a really good tune will run all day long.

Well I run an enthalpy tuned ecu. I guess what I'm really concerned with is the stock headstuds and that the head might lift under higher boost. I have ran it with this turbo set up and power for about 5 months. And I drive it everyday. I've been planning on upgrading the headgasket for awhile, always been on my list.

SixSpeedSleuth
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I ran 18PSI and on a GT2871R with S4 cams and an otherwise stock motor including headgasket for a year, sold it to my buddy, and it still runs perfect to this day. Car made 370whp at 18PSI. Tune was Romtune by Enthalpy, so, I would say you are pretty safe if you turn up the boost a little.

GSXRJJordan
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Stock head bolts are fine. Lots of big-power motors still use the OEM head bolts.

Steve is the shining example of what stock headgaskets/internals can do - he was running close to 400hp for a while on his stocker, and changed it out only because he wanted to go for more power (if I remember correctly).

I would definitely not 'juice' that motor on a stock headgasket though. You've got to be close enough to the limit.

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Only reason why I am considering nitrous is a friend has a wet kit that he is giving me a good deal on. Am I gonna spray everyday? No. At the track a few times just to see what it does. yes.

kognition
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe consider a fogger or a water/methanol setup instead of the nos.
There is a reason why it is banned in Redline Time Attack. Actually a couple, one is the time lost cleaning up the oil and parts off the track.

Only reason why I am considering nitrous is a friend has a wet kit that he is giving me a good deal on. Am I gonna spray everyday? No. At the track a few times just to see what it does. yes.

GSXRJJordan
07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
If you're baller enough for nitrous, you need to be baller enough to plop down $180 on a Power Enterprise HG and $30 on some OEM head bolts. Then you're just an afternoon away from peace of mind.

Cmon man.

!Zar!
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Stock head bolts are fine. Lots of big-power motors still use the OEM head bolts.

Steve is the shining example of what stock headgaskets/internals can do - he was running close to 400hp for a while on his stocker, and changed it out only because he wanted to go for more power (if I remember correctly).

I would definitely not 'juice' that motor on a stock headgasket though. You've got to be close enough to the limit.

dingdingding

racepar1
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
If you are going for power it is just plain stupid to leave the stock headgasket in it. That's pure cheapness and lazyness right there.

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
If you are going for power it is just plain stupid to leave the stock headgasket in it. That's pure cheapness and lazyness right there.

Cheapness? like dumping $2000 into the driveline the past month? Does that sound like cheapness to you? Not to mention planning on a z32 tranny setup within the next month. That's about another $1500. I am upgrading the big things I keep breaking.

I'm not going for power. i run my car at 15 psi usually. I am just trying to see what the most I can get out of a bone stock motor. As I have previously said I am not going to be running nitrous hardly at all. A dyno run and maybe a few passes down the track. Just to see what It does. Now this winter on the other hand I plan on building the whole head, cams, springs, retainers. so why would i waste time and money and do it now when i plan on doing it right this winter? guess i'll just find out myself first hand what the stock head gasket will hold.

corriganjoshua
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I guess all motors werent treated equally some gaskets go quickly some a little further. You are doing a good job thus far.

GSXRJJordan
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, I think you understand the collective opinion. You'd be dumb to not replace your headgasket... it takes one day.

racepar1
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Cheapness? like dumping $2000 into the driveline the past month? Does that sound like cheapness to you? Not to mention planning on a z32 tranny setup within the next month. That's about another $1500. I am upgrading the big things I keep breaking.

Exactly! You are spending $3500 on driveline mods and cheaping out on a part that costs less than $200! If you just spent $3500 then what the fuck difference is $200 going to make? If that $200 will break your budget at the end of it all then you probably shouldn't have spent the $3500 to begin with. If you are breaking driveline components then you OBVIOUSLY already have big power. Why not just do the damn gasket as basically insurance that you won't blow that up too?

mjjstang
07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Exactly! You are spending $3500 on driveline mods and cheaping out on a part that costs less than $200! If you just spent $3500 then what the fuck difference is $200 going to make? If that $200 will break your budget at the end of it all then you probably shouldn't have spent the $3500 to begin with. If you are breaking driveline components then you OBVIOUSLY already have big power. Why not just do the damn gasket as basically insurance that you won't blow that up too?
but how many 200 dollar mods can you think of off the top of your head, I can think of more than the GNP of Somalia. Gotta have a cutoff point somewhere, Though I do believe a head gasket is essential in a build, but while the heads off there is so much more that can be done.

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Or why not as I said and put one in this winter when I build the whole motor.

I guess instead of a how far can i push a stock headgasket thread I got a you should do this to your car instead. and considering the fact that it's not my headgasket that keeps going out it's other things I think i'd rather fix the things that are going wrong first.

but how many 200 dollar mods can you think of off the top of your head, I can think of more than the GNP of Somalia. Gotta have a cutoff point somewhere, Though I do believe a head gasket is essential in a build, but while the heads off there is so much more that can be done.

Exactly. If the headgasket does go then instead of a z32 tranny set up i'll be building my motor alot sooner.

corriganjoshua
07-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Regardless the question asked was how far can it go...not how to go about building the car. I dont think there is a legit answer to the question.

1QUICK4
07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Regardless I'll post the results after the 19th.

racepar1
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Or why not as I said and put one in this winter when I build the whole motor.

I guess instead of a how far can i push a stock headgasket thread I got a you should do this to your car instead. and considering the fact that it's not my headgasket that keeps going out it's other things I think i'd rather fix the things that are going wrong first.

Most of the time when you put things off you regret it. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

Hashiriya415
07-11-2008, 03:03 AM
is it too hard for you to order a metal gasket, and install it in a couple of hours, unbolt the head remove, clean and assemble.
I know it sounds like lot of work but after that you won't have to worry about the gasket

fliprayzin240sx
07-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Regardless I'll post the results after the 19th.

Hey its your car, basically what it comes down to is that itll suck if you blow the HG on your first pass, just wasted how ever much money and time you putting in to get it on a dyno if it blows. I'd rather push the car when I know NOTHING would go wrong, than me risking to have to tow the car home. But hey, again, its your car, do what ever floats your boat...

kognition
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Like i said, used blown parts don't have much resale value. :)

DJ_Sunrise
07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
The other question is... how much labor cost is? I've swapped motors in, transmissions, clutches, etc.. but taking a motor apart is something I havent done...nor would want to risk.. hmmm

-Bart

1QUICK4
07-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I guess people were misunderstanding the whole thread, oh well