PDA

View Full Version : tach not reading accurately, and water,oil,temp gauges acting weird

njd07
07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
my tach reads way lower then what the engine is really revving at. for instance when at idle it sounds like its idleing around 1200 or 1300 but the guage reads 700, and when im driving it says im only reving 1000rpm in 4th, haha which is not possible with out the car bucking and shaking mad. says im at like 2500rpm going 115km/h. this is a dohc tach installed into an sohc hud cluster, engine is sr20det.

next problem.
I almost shiat my pants today, I was driving on my way to get some tires mounted and looked over at my water temp and it was at like 220 F so I pull over immediatly and notice my dummy temp gauge is reading halfway. so turn th ecar off check for any leaks, etc. and everything seems A-ok. so I start it back up...and its reading kinda high, so I shut off my radio and The needle drops to 170F where it should be. whenever I turn on an acc such as radio, int fans, etc the water temp gauge, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges start reading in accuratly. I thought it was the wiring so I re-did all of it and still having this problem.

what could be causing my issues? the battery is relocated to the trunk. IM thinking the engine is not getting a good enough ground. the only main engine to chassis ground I have is the stock battery ground. which grounds from the intake manifold to side of the battery tray. im gonna install a grounding kit and see if that helps, but has anyone every experience a similar issue?

Miami240z
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Im having similar problems but the temp gauge rockets up when I put the e brake down and attempt to put it in gear. Bell rings and my lights flicker and click when going forward and reverse too. Im leanin towards a faulty ground somewhere. Probably the same problem I have :-/