PDA

View Full Version : Speedo only works sometimes. Replace it?

neverrain
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey all,

I have been "accepting" of a problem with my speedometer that doesn't really bug me, but I'm to the point where I want to correct it.

My speedometer only works about 50% of the time. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it sits at zero, sometimes it just does whatever it wants and bounces all over the gauge.

Is this something that can be fixed or would it be easier just to replace the cluster? I plan to swap out my dash in the near future (cracked dash ftw) and if I need to simply replace it I would like to do it then.

Anyone else have this issue before?

DALAZ_68
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey all,

I have been "accepting" of a problem with my speedometer that doesn't really bug me, but I'm to the point where I want to correct it.

My speedometer only works about 50% of the time. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it sits at zero, sometimes it just does whatever it wants and bounces all over the gauge.

Is this something that can be fixed or would it be easier just to replace the cluster? I plan to swap out my dash in the near future (cracked dash ftw) and if I need to simply replace it I would like to do it then.

Anyone else have this issue before?i dunno about cluster, but u can change the gauge itself and its not that hard...

dorkidori_s13
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
sounds like u have a short or a bad ground...pull the cluster and check the sub harness between the back of the cluster and the dash harness (it unplugs in 2 spots under the dash behind the cluster)

the dash wires get old and very brittle and CAN crack and cause cluster problems

or the speedo itself could just be going bad...but theyre cheap enough to find around (like 20-30 bux for the unit...if that)

neverrain
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Yea i was actually wondering if it was wire related or not, but ive been lazy approaching it. Just figured I should probably look into it when I pull my dash. Thanks for the info.

kevinphan
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
If you want I have a mint cluster for sale.

neverrain
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
How much? shipped to 91402?

Also, another thing I didn't think about at the time was that my odometer and trip odometer don't always work (which isn't a bad thing). Although this likely doesn't change what the problems could be.

kevinphan
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
44$ shipped?

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/kevin_phan/D70s/D70/240sx-speedo.jpg

Ready to ship whenever.

krazydriver
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
How much? shipped to 91402?

Also, another thing I didn't think about at the time was that my odometer and trip odometer don't always work (which isn't a bad thing). Although this likely doesn't change what the problems could be.

Definitely a grounding issue if it's affecting the whole cluster like that. You really just need to check it. It'll be a simple fix.

reccakun08
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM
kevinphan has a sohc gauge cluster.
What engine do you have?

kevinphan
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah that cluster came from a SOHC

Jordn
07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Is it *just* the speedo? Or rev counter too?

Check the speed sensor on the gearbox. If its not reading right your speedo won't work and neither will your odo.

Check the wires coming off the sensor to make sure they are't fubared. Pull the sensor out of the box and check it visually too. Some of the teeth can snap as the cog is plastic and give hit and miss readings.

fromxtor
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
^^ Speaking of that, when I bought my hatch the speedo would be intermittent like that. Well I decided to pull the speed sensor out before I sodl the tranny a few weeks ago, and the clip that help the gear onto the sensor fell off due to being bent.