PDA

View Full Version : I have to remove the engine for the oil pan?!

Solidus311
07-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I spent the last 3 hours trying to get my damn oil pan off my rb25. I'm guessing it's 10 times harder being in an s13 chassis. Anyway, I finally got the front sway bar, some transmission bracket things, and all 400 bolts off the pan and cut most of the gasket off. After a little prying with a screw driver the pan dropped. But the damn thing wont come out! It's being hung up on something inside the oil pan. The oil sump? I don't know.

I remember changing an sr pan and it was nothing.

So my question is.... does anyone know what to do, remove the main pulley, remove the whole engine? I'm about to call a buddy who did an rb swap and have him help me yank the damn motor out!

slidingsky
07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Most likely the oil pickup is in the way so you will have to try and remove it or do some wiggling. Another thing that you can do is hoist the engine up a couple of inches if you have a cherry picker. That will give you the needed clearance.

Solidus311
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Most likely the oil pickup is in the way so you will have to try and remove it or do some wiggling. Another thing that you can do is hoist the engine up a couple of inches if you have a cherry picker. That will give you the needed clearance.

I finally received my FSM in the mail today and it does say to remove the engine mount bolts and to lift the engine up to get the pan out. Thanks slidingsky. :)

projectRDM
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
You could just as easily jack up the bellhousing and drop the crossmember a few inches.

Solidus311
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
You could just as easily jack up the bellhousing and drop the crossmember a few inches.

I held the motor up with an engine hoist and then dropped the crossmember. Got the pan out, beat the dent out and now everything seems fine.