PDA

View Full Version : Ka24 won't fire up

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Right now my DOHC ka won't start. I checked my fuses,starter,alternator,battery,spark plugs, gas.

The engine is cranking but it makes that out of gas sound and won't fire up.

do you have any ideas whats wrong?

SIXSEVENONE
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
if it makes that out of sound gas. check the fuel pump if theres any gas going into the motor? if it does check spark going into the engine.

CrimsonRockett
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Make sure the ignitor(ignition coil) is hooked on.

This passed weekend, while hammering my buddies wheel well, it accidentally came loose.

When he tried to fire it up, gave him that "out of gas" sound.

Hooked it back up. Fired right up.

LA_phantom_240
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Before coming back to post, make sure you're getting fuel and spark. I assume the motor ran before, so compression should be okay....

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
how do I check for fuel/spark/ignitor coils?

I dont know alot about cars, I just know the basics. I just wanna get my car running!

I really need your help on this, I dont race/drift or try too. I just use my 240 to get to work/school/places. I dont want to walk or take the bus.

Can you guys explain the basics and I can go from there.

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rep for everyone who answered.

koukimonster139
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
3 things you need for an engine to start

compression
spark
fuel

your missing one or more of the three

pick up a factory service manual (fsm) for starters, it will point you in the right direction faster than any online forum.

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I have the manual already, I cant find where it explains how to find those.

I searched the index for ignitor etc. but all it does it tell me how to adjust it..

aziankingz
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
on your distributor cap..take off the middle plug (coil plug), which also connects to the coil..put it near your strut tower (so you can see the tip of the plug while in the car) and try to start the car and see if you get any spark coming from that wire..if not, then you should change your coil or distributor.

also..see if you can have someone listen to your fuel pump when you try to start your car..

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
on your distributor cap..take off the middle plug (coil plug), which also connects to the coil..put it near your strut tower (so you can see the tip of the plug while in the car) and try to start the car and see if you get any spark coming from that wire..if not, then you should change your coil or distributor.

also..see if you can have someone listen to your fuel pump when you try to start your car..

thank you very much +repped.

I can hear the fuel pumping. and Ill check the spark. How much are coils/distributors?

DriftCat
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I recently had some trouble with my car starting and turn out it was the inhibitor switch. Its a little toggle pressed in when you push in the clutch. I basically had to bend the bracket it sit on out so when I pushed the clutch it would engage. Nothig @ all was happening when I turned the key so you don't have this problem but maybe someone out there reading through this thread does. Sounds like everyone here is pointing you out in the right direction for you issue though. Sorry I'm no more help. =/

LA_phantom_240
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
If you can smell fuel coming from the exhaust, you're getting fuel. A new distributor is expensive, and so is a coil. If you're gonna replace the coil, get an MSD coil, its like $40, and simple to install. The ignitor is a bitch to troubleshoot.

punxva
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
did you change the timing? it may be a tooth off, common problem with a ka24 when installing it. i had the same symptoms when i put my built motor in, it was just one tooth off and wouldnt start, then it fired right up

JohnRed
07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Im not sure what it is at atll but I can smell gas, so I know its pumping. But it wont fire thats the only thing.

aziankingz
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
try seeing if you have spark first..most likely you have none since you have fuel and air already..change the coil first..then if that doesnt help..get a distributor.. i have a spare one i can give you..$10 plus shipping..

Clowny
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
im with asian king on the checking for spark. if you check it and its good, remember, since youve been cranking it so much now that you can smell gas, the motor is probably flooded and wouldnt start even if everything were good. to fix that, just put your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank it til it starts up. itll cough for a bit, but keep your foot on the floor til it revs up properly. hope it helps.

JohnRed
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I think I flooded it prior when I was trying to find out what was wrong with it. How do I unflood my ka24? FULL DESCRIPTION!

sr20det drift
07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
+ you need to make sure your battery has enough juice.

JohnRed
07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I already put in a new battery

Clowny
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
how to unflood the ka the extremely effective way: unplug your injectors and crank the motor for about 30 seconds. plug the injectors back in and youre done.

how to unflood the ka the easy way: put the gas pedal all the way to the floor. this will put the ecu into flood clear mode when cranking the motor. when the motor catches finally, itll run kinda rough for a little bit, keep your foot on the pedal the whole time. once the motor revs up like it should, let your foot off the pedal as to not over-rev your engine. done.

for your situation, i would use the first way, since you dont know if it being flooded is your only issue or not, that is the way to be sure its not flooded without the motor actually having to start up.

SIXSEVENONE
07-03-2008, 10:51 PM
try changing the ignitor.