PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/Friend's Integra

Tyler Durdan
12-15-2002, 03:56 PM
I am just coping and pasteing what he posted at supercars.net. He's in a real bind being down in Austin with no other mode of transportation, and looking to come back home on Tuesday. I suggested it might be a starter problem, and to have it tested, but he thinks it's a neutral safety switch problem. I know we got some technical guys on here that know their stuff, so any help is appreciated...especially if it saves me a drive down to Austin to help him out. His car is not starting now.
In his own words:

Ok, I had my clutch replaced this summer. Everything was going fine. Then a few weeks later my car had trouble starting. You had to depress the clutch fully, then turn the key (nothing would happen), then let it out about a 1/4 of an inch or so and the car would start. So I took it back to the place and they said that it was unrelated to the work they did. They said it was a seperate mechanism that was wearing out and eventually would break but I could do one of three things. One, I could order a new part (sorry, I don't remember what it's called). Two, he could rig it so that that I don't need to use the clutch to start the car. Or three, I could wait until it breaks. Well, over the last few months it has gotten progressivley worse. It's always worse when the engine is cold. It has gotten to the point where I have to pump the clutch about 5 times or so, then try it. If it doesn't start, I have to pump it several times again until it starts. I was up to about 15 times on a cold start until yesterday when I got my oil changed. Since then, it starts fine with no pumping of the clutch. What happened?

uiuc240
12-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Maybe the neutral switch plug was just dangling there, halfway loose, and the guy changing the oil plugged it in more or something.  It's probably something simple like that.

Other than that, I have no farking clue.

Eric

mbmbmb23
12-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Maybe the cluch MC is really low on fluid?  Any chance that the neutral switch isnt being activated because the clutch isnt being engaged (because theres not enough hydraulic pressure in there without pumping it up a bunch of times)?

just a thought

-m

IntegraGuy
12-15-2002, 09:27 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uiuc240 @ Dec. 15 2002,5:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe the neutral switch plug was just dangling there, halfway loose, and the guy changing the oil plugged it in more or something. It's probably something simple like that.

Other than that, I have no farking clue.

Eric</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm thinking it was the guy that changed the oil who may have accidently hit it some how. Someone else thought of that too and that seems to make the most sense as far as why the car started fine after the oil was changed.

I think it is that switch though and I've been told where it is from some Integra people I know, it's just a matter of getting to it and bypassing it now. I appreciate your suggestions, though, and thanks Mark, for making this thread. If anyone else has any input or experience with this sort of thing, it would still help me out.