PDA

View Full Version : I fail at ka24de timing chain... Russ....please!

gotta240
06-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Ok, i fail...I admit it.

I even read the FSM like 4 times..... i guess i'm just retarded.

How do i know for sure the upper and lower timing chains are in the correct positions and not one tooth off? I removed the tensioners and soaked them in pb blaster... However, the chain was so loose that i'm worried i skipped ONE tooth.

I know the FSM says there should be SILVER marks or links on the chain, but i don't see such a thing on either my upper or lower chain. Both the upper and lower has ONE super shiny link, but i'm pretty sure that just the connecting link.

Also, can you check both the upper and lower chain all at once? IE: if the lower ones are lining up the upper ones should line up, or MUST they be checked independantly of each other?

Thanks in advance...

WangonwWarrior
06-28-2008, 07:51 PM
The super shiny link IS A MARK!!! and look very closly on the other chain their should be small dots in the chain, look at EVERY link in the chain for any kind of mark. Hope this helps man

Also, can you check both the upper and lower chain all at once? IE: if the lower ones are lining up the upper ones should line up, or MUST they be checked independantly of each other?

Not true just mark them all up to be sure

gotta240
06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Not true just mark them all up to be sure

Thanks for the reply, but i didn't understand this part... So can they be checked at together... meaning when the upper chain lines up the lower chain will line up, or are they completely independant of each other?

Also, how do i know i'm on the correct revolution of the chain? I think i found the marks(they are just lighter colored links), but how do i know when they SHOULD line up? The links line up with the dots every 10th rotation or so.. How do i know they are lining up when they should?

thanks again.

WangonwWarrior
06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes you found them, like i said they are very difficult to spot they are just a shade brighter. If all the marks on the chain are right on all the marks on the sprocket you are fine, trust me. Let me know how everything goes

WangonwWarrior
06-28-2008, 08:38 PM
And no you did not fail.... i fail because i used an old chain and tensioners and now they are noisy and i got to do it again:rant:

gotta240
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Have you removed the upper guides yet? I had a ka that was VERY noisy and it was easily fixed by removing the upper guide. (it is recomended to do by the factory and new kits don't even include the damn guide) You probably knew this but just throwing it out there...

Oh, and i do fail because i am re-using the chain and tensioners that came on the motor. I think (and hope!) they look aftermarket so i just decided to soak the tensioners in pb blaster to lube/free them a up a bit.