PDA

View Full Version : sounds like a marble in my fuel tank??

BillFourty
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
heard a weird noise while i was driving. if i roll the car back and fourth it sounds like a marble rolling around in my fuel tank. it contiues to clunk back and fourth for a lil even after i stop moving the car. im gonna open it up tommorow and have a look but im just wondering what to expect?

GSXRJJordan
06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Does your fuel pump gauge work? Could be the float got loose. You're positive it's not something rolling around in your trunk?

mestizo
06-25-2008, 11:45 PM
It could be the metal baffle in the tank, that is if it's an S13 you're talking about. I have seen about four S13's with this issue including mine, the spot welds break and then the metal baffle will literally slosh back and forth with the gas. Mine actually shorted out my fuel pump while driving, good thing nothing more happened.

BillFourty
06-26-2008, 12:01 AM
yeah its deffinetly in my tank. i guess ill just take the pump out and take the baffle out. should i bother trying to fix it or just take it out? assuming its the baffle i didint check if my gas gauge was working.

Chrischeezer
06-26-2008, 07:55 AM
yeah a zip-tie and a little drop of JB weld works perfect.
that baffle is known for rattling around.

mestizo
06-26-2008, 08:49 AM
yeah a zip-tie and a little drop of JB weld works perfect.
that baffle is known for rattling around.

That works or just bend the baffle into a small enough peice to pull it out of the gas tank.

Chrischeezer
06-28-2008, 08:49 AM
opened up my tank once found my 1/4 inch ratchet down there... along with that broken baffle.

mestizo
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
LOL free tools!!!! ahahaha spray some WD40 in the ratchet and add it to your collection. I wonder how some one could have not noticed that their ratchet fell into the gas?

Landers
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Yea that happened to me. Mine only made noise when it was below a 1/4 tank. It was the baffles.

BustedS13
06-28-2008, 12:56 PM
it's probably a marble.

wangan_cruiser
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
when you accel then stop. feels like rolling back and forth inside your tank. thats your baffle plate. i had mine like that before then i took it off. its easy to remove. get some long nose pliers and bend it till you can pull it off from your fuel tank. that shit is risky what if that baffle plate can create a spark inside your tank while you go drive. take if off

Mister.E
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
That works or just bend the baffle into a small enough peice to pull it out of the gas tank.

FTW! i took out my baffles and since then have never had any problems with fuel tank rattling. the baffles used to fuck with my gas gauge operation too...not anymore, shit works perfect.

nismoskyz
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
my car just recently developed this same issue... sounds like there's a marble sliding around in the fuel tank or something, every time i stop/go... it can get very annoying..

where's the fuel tank baffle, how can I remove it? // is it something i can easily do on my own?
--i did search already.

thanks

Mister.E
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
when you pull out the pump assembly the baffle should be on the left. if it is the baffle making the noise you will see it loosely hanging there. it can be done very easily on your own. just be careful and wear some gloves; the edges of the fuel tank are sharp as fuck and cut my hands all over the place.

xs240
02-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm confused because I don't know how to expect this visually but I definitely have this issue. Some kind of noise in the gas tank plus when doing heavier corners the gas gauge goes down drastically. What's up?

Mister.E
02-20-2009, 02:02 PM
its your baffles man. if you are confused by what you need to do then you need to have someone who knows what we are talking about look at it for you. i dont know if it can be explained any better than it already has been.

zugoi
02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Back in the day my shop teacher said he found an empty beer can in his gas tank. Whoever dropped the can in there didnt even have the courtesy of leaving an extra beer. People these days...

ericcastro
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I have left my baffle floating around for a year.

I figured with drifting and grip, it was good to have it in there stopping some of the sloshing and fuel wieght transfer.

you can take it out and its gonna be ok??
seems like kind of a bad idea on a drift car??

Mister.E
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
i took mine out a long time ago and i have never had any problems drifting. a baffle that is just swinging around really isnt performing its function anyways. its supposed to be stationary to stop the sloshing, but if its broken then it just sloshes with the fuel. id recommend taking it out or fixing it

ericcastro
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
that sounds good.

Fuck i cant wait for the gas gauge to work!!!! :)

Mister.E
02-20-2009, 02:29 PM
haha that was the best part about taking it out. my gauge stopped working twice. the first time i just moved the baffle out of the way but the second time i said fuck it and yanked it out. i havent had a problem with the gauge since

ericcastro
02-20-2009, 02:46 PM
My gauge always stops working at about halfway.
Im broke, but if i take the baffle out, i may have enough gas to go to the 626meet tonight, lol.

Mister.E
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
LOL, hope it works out for you man. like i said though, be careful of your hands....the tank edges are really sharp

soreballz
02-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Hmm. I'm glad I read this thread. Both my coupe and my girl's coupe have rattling gas tanks. I must fix this next time I run my fuel tank dry. lol

BlitzRPS13
07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Pretty sure my silvia has this problem with the baffle. The sending unit works. The wiring is mint.. and the gas light works. Only thing left is the baffle.

jasonmiller1186
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
heard a weird noise while i was driving. if i roll the car back and fourth it sounds like a marble rolling around in my fuel tank (http://www.racepages.com/parts/fuel_tank.html). it contiues to clunk back and fourth for a lil even after i stop moving the car. im gonna open it up tommorow and have a look but im just wondering what to expect?

wooh.. I have the same problem. I thought something bad happen to my car. But when i tried to fix it the problem was the edges of the fuel tank is sharp. ggrr..:ddog: