PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter problem Help!!!

Boosted240Guy
06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Hey guys I need some help! If your gonna flame then just dont bother posting anything. heres the deal I have a oil filter on my sr20 under the stock intake manifold that will not budge. I have tried absolutly everything....I have broke 2 shitty oil cap wrenches on it. Bought the vice grip oil wrench. I have tried the leather belt trick from the bay and the bottom end. i have tried the sandpaper trick and I'm a pretty big guy so I've put a lot into trying to get it off. I have also tried the screwdriver through the filter but I can't get enough leverage to get it to budge. The guy who had the car before me like an idiot tourqed the fucker on as tight as he could....Any suggestions please help!!!!!!

whereda40at
06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
get the oil filter remover thing that is triangle shapped and it goes over the top. the hard you turn it the more it grabs the filter. that should work. if not keep trying everything else.

loveskylines
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
buy a new motor! j/k

try to cool the filter itself..it should shrink it enough to come off... or just slowly break it up... thats a lot messier but it sounds like he didnt lube the seal prior to putting it on, so the gasket may be melted to the block..try taking some fine metal cable.. kinda like floss to cut/break the seal from the rubber gasket to the block...

take a break from it and look at it in 15 mins... sometimes i get so wrapped up in doing something i miss the obvious.

gl

downshift_sideways
06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Umm..I wouldnt recommend breaking the filter. thats a big no no.^

That's the last thing you want is metal shards falling inside your oil filter tube...

Have you tried to get an oil filter cup specifically designed to fit snug onto your filter? You should be able to connect it to a 3/8th's ratchet and screw it out.

If the filter bandwrenches are slipping...try getting a rag and fitting it inside the band while trying to budge it..

If you are using filter pliers...Use the ones that can grab snug around the entire filter...this helps for non slippage. Pinch in and turn.

derk
06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
use this kind of oil filter tool.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

Temple240
06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
As a last resort stick a screw driver through the bottom of the filter (make sure you stay clear of the filler) and use it to turn the filter. Have you tried taking it off using latex gloves?

undesiredshoe
06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Are you turning it the right way?

babowc
06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Are you turning it the right way?

rofl +1

yeah, don't forget to turn it the right way.....

just go at it like a mofo, SR has filter placement like ass..
just go at it.. you'll get it off.

downshift_sideways
06-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Use this kind of tool.
http://www.solomotoparts.com/image.php?productid=26784

clark
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
start working out. you have weak woman hands!!!

naw, i hear you....my shit wouldn't budge either (s13 sr20).

i just really used brute force, i got mine out from the top. i just kept trying in sets then resting, like a workout.

get some brake cleaner, and spray the shit out of it cuz you probably got it all greasy.

you really just have to get the right grip on it. get some of those mechanics gloves too. they didn't do it for me, i actually get mine off bare handed.

my fucking hand was killing me for two days after that...

at the end of the summer, i'm pulling my engine to do heater hoses and oil filter relocation.

iHeartTheTouge
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
use this kind of oil filter tool.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

/threadmsglngth

downshift_sideways
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I agree I use to work at oil stations.

our cars along with miata's and rx7's are a bitch to get the filters out.

Try getting it from the top, and maneuvering your arms next to the fuse box.

Good luck!

njd07
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
exact same thing ahppened to me...my sr's filter just wouldnt budge, I tried everything...eventually I just ended up taking off the alternator and getting a adjustable filter wrench thing on it. this allowed for alot more room and was able to get good leverage. good luck

Gnnr
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Use this kind of tool.
http://www.solomotoparts.com/image.php?productid=26784

When that dosen't work, I use this

http://65.118.245.21/product/lisle-oil-filter-pliers-50950.jpg

Works everytime, the teeth rip right into the oil filter and it comes out like a squished soda can. hehe

zugoi
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
As a last resort stick a screw driver through the bottom of the filter (make sure you stay clear of the filler) and use it to turn the filter. Have you tried taking it off using latex gloves?

Hes already tried using a screwdriver.Also how would a laxtex glove help? All the tricks he's tried grip a hell of a lot better then going barehand with latex gloves. Whats the sandpaper trick? Im assuming your roughing up the surface of the oilfilter for better grip? Best advice i can give is to use the triangle claw tool. I use it at work all the time and it makes taking filters off alot easier. Gl

n240sxfnatic
06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
the same thing happened to me and i just found it faster to take the lower and upper intake manifolds off, its real easy that way

Boosted240Guy
06-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Hey Thanks guys for all the advice....I ended up getting it off....ha I used it like a work out...in sets I mean. I gave up yesterday and let it sit overnight and then this morning I went and got the last tool I hadn't tried its like a cup almost but only has two sides and pretty much crushes the thing...it was just small enough to fit perfect and i put the wrench in I gave that fucker a good twist to the left and it popped off the oil inside the filter was chunky, good thing I didn't drive it much. Lets just say I lubed the fuck out of the seal on the new filter and put fresh Royal purple in...Thanks again guys

SHIFT_*grind*
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM
For next time, you also might consider removing your intake manifold support brace, right near the filter. It frees up some space and gives you more room to work when you're trying to get a good grip on the filter.

KiLLeR2001
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
I always just twist that bitch bare handed. I end up coming out with cuts all over my hands, but its the only way I've been able to do it.

downshift_sideways
06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Only pansies have to take off a part in order to get your oil filter out.

You'd be surprised how shitty these filter wrench's slip.

SHIFT_*grind*
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Or maybe it's easier than buying shitty cap wrenches that break? :wavey:

240=180
06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
not if you use the metal ones....

projectRDM
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I've broken a half dozen metal cap type wrenches. The center portion where the ratchet fits always breaks loose.

+1 for removing the support brackets. Useless shit, in the way.