PDA

View Full Version : Car sat for 4 weeks.. now turbo won't spool, and sounds like a WRX.

DJ_Sunrise
06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
hey guys.. my car sat for like 4 weeks.. finally drove it yesterday, and I noticed there was very little boost.. finally got it to .5 bar in 3rd when i hit 90mph. to make matters worse.. i went to eat, came out side, and my car sounded like a wrx, with a loss of power.. any ideas???

-bart

Sideways~S14
06-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Are you running off all 4 or you may be down one cyl just taking a wild guess

mifesto
06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
did you happen to do any work before you "stored" it for 4 weeks? did you check the spark plugs and the wires? maf plugged in ok?

DJ_Sunrise
06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
injector o-rings are all new, as are insulators.. plugs have 9k on them.. i have an exhaust leak, just cant find it lol.. prob manifold to turbo.. ughhhh. why does this have to happen to me :( oooh yea.. it started backfiring like a fucken pig too..

brian m
06-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Sounding like a wrx usually means running on 3 cylinders or dumping fuel. Is it stock ecu? If it isn't, make sure the daughterboard is snug in place.
Also check the condition of your plugs, it'll tell a lot.

flip3d
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
coilpacks, injectors

check them.

steve shadows
06-23-2008, 10:02 AM
coil pack ground

Vaccum leaks

plugs

fuel pressure

compression test

leak down

EDT007
06-23-2008, 01:09 PM
My guess would be a huge leak from the manifold to turbo as you stated. Go over all of those bolts and make sure their snug.

S-Nation S13
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
as for turbo spool no idea but soundin like a wrx i do later found out that one of my o-rings busted and floded one of my cylinder was only running on 3 but exhaust sounded like wrx hope it helps

xplicit240
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
yeah check if your ecu is bad. if you have a buddy that has one in has car try swapping it out. i let my car sit for like a week and it ran like crap. after i switched it out it was all good.

djcobra
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
DJ Sunrise:

its your Tomei Manifold gone booboo!, I bet it sounds like a bad lifter, tick tick tick tick, slowly goes away when driving for about 10-15min? Its that freaking Manifold, I know how much you love that thing but hate to bursty your bubble! I had the same manifold last year, same problem, freaking thing pissed a hole during the dyno/tune. Get stocker manifold, extrude/hone that mofo, shit can handle 400whp. If you don't belive me ask cody ace. good luck! ** i'm pushing out 320whp on the stocker... does the bloody job!

Steve.

1989rps13
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
hey guys.. my car sat for like 4 weeks.. finally drove it yesterday, and I noticed there was very little boost.. finally got it to .5 bar in 3rd when i hit 90mph. to make matters worse.. i went to eat, came out side, and my car sounded like a wrx, with a loss of power.. any ideas???

-bart

check your wiring to the ignitor my problem was there i had and still have a bad solder and time to time my car also sounds like a wrx i just havent soldered it

jbuckley
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Just put your hand around the turbo manifold when you FIRST start it so its not too hot , you should feel air leaking if its loose..

How it would get loose just sitting there beats me though.

Got any enemies? maybe someone put something in your gas tank?

just a thought haha

DJ_Sunrise
06-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Lmao.. checked everything out, one of the coil packs was loose.. compression tested fine, same for leak down etc... I hear a huge fuckin leak around the exhaust manifold.. turbo started spooling.. but only up to about .6 bar before I run out of highway, or break triple digits... soo.. I'm gonna take off the manifold and replace all of the gaskets. Hopefully it helps. ughhh I hate taking off the turbo though..

-Bart

Edit: Thanks everyone for the input!