PDA

View Full Version : what should I do about stripped thread, subframe stud

mjjstang
06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
ok on the 4 subframe studs, I have a stripped thread on one. I have never taken this thing to a shop, so the one time I just want to get it done and over with and pay someone, NOBODY can do it. I called body shops, machine shops, collision shops, dealer, (wanted 200 to look at it and would have told me they had to press it out and cut the frame), and local mechanics, nobodys got any work around here so I know its not that they just dont want to look at it, they were stumped at what I needed.

I read the thread about someone breaking theres, but I am not at that point yet, I think this can be saved before I have to start cutting into sheet metal.

So basically I really need to know the size of thread. its an s13 rear subframe. I thought it was a 12mm but the 12mm tap just fits right into the nut without even having to thread it on. So I'm leaning towards 14-1.75. Anybody know what it really is. I want to be sure because I am about to order a 14 on ebay, Hopefully it just needs a repair, otherwise can I hack it down to a 12 and then just use the die I have?

calico
06-19-2008, 11:39 PM
couldn't you just take the nut to the local hardware store and start testing out different screws in it to find the size?

mjjstang
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
well if I had one, dont feel like taking it apart and risking another stripped, and I work at the depot, we dont have shit for metric. I doubt mom and pops will either. I ordered a couple at the dealership but it wont be there till monday, and I need to order the parts now since midnext week I need to get this thing swapped out. I got more slop in my rear end than Jlo.

frosti108
06-20-2008, 01:04 AM
mom n pops usually have a good nut and bolt selection... around here atleast. the thread holes for my trans Xmember bolts got rusted and stripped out... im going to be drilling them out wide enough to weld some nuts up where the threads used to be...

02BRB20
06-20-2008, 07:53 AM
yeah Ace Hardware has a pretty good selection, they even have allen wrench metric bolts..oooo lalala