PDA

View Full Version : SR20VE

RedlineRacer
12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
I've read about the SR20VE, and i'm wondering did nissan ever produce this engine. Or is it some hybrid that someone made? I also read that is it almost identical to honda's VTEC. Is this true? I know the new 350Z has this in it, but i haven't heard if it has the same kick that VTEC has at 6k RPM's.

SilviaDriver
12-09-2002, 09:31 PM
yea i talked about this a long time ago. its not a hybrid, its the real deal engine. do a search on FA, they have the specs.
Nissan also has the SR20VET!! thats right turbo. the only thing is right now its in the SUV X-Trail. also its horizontal like honda engines and its also auto. it produces 280hp!!!! from what i read it is better than Vtec so i read somewhere "the answer to Vtec" talkin about the SR20VET.

also vtec doesnt "kick" it wont throw u back in ur seat or anything more of a "crossover" and for GSRs its crossover is at 5500rpms

exitsanity
12-09-2002, 09:37 PM
well here is a good place to research:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/forumdi....=16&y=8 (http://www.sr20deforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=41&x=16&y=8)

here is a FAQ about the SR20VE:
SR20VE FAQ (http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18317)

First off its a AWD/FWD motor... putting it in a 240sx would require some work.
it is a stock engine, it is produced by Nissan and is currently in production in a few different models. just to tantalize you there is also a ~270hp SR20VET production engine also...

edit:  The SR20DE Forum is kinda busy at the moment if not working now, give it a few hours

RedlineRacer
12-09-2002, 09:42 PM
if a SR20VET has 280 hp stock, then why does no one swap that in instead of the SR20DET? Is a SR20V worth getting? How much do they cost?

exitsanity
12-09-2002, 09:49 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedlineRacer @ Dec. 09 2002,10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if a SR20VET has 280 hp stock, then why does no one swap that in instead of the SR20DET? Is a SR20V worth getting? How much do they cost?</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
no one has imported a SR20VET to the states yet to general knowledge...

they are meant for a AWD tranny setup so it wouldn't be a straight swap to a 240sx

and they are probably pretty expensive... I heard from a friend(who currently has a B13 sr20ve powered drag car) that you can get a crate SR20VET for ~7000 or so but that probably doesn't include everything you need to get it running...

note that at least one person has turbo'd a SR20VE but didn't get great results until they turned the VVL solenoid off on the exhaust cam and installed SR20VET stock cams.

SilviaDriver
12-09-2002, 09:50 PM
nobody swaps it in becuase

1. like "exitsanity" said its AWD/FWD. and would require some major work. &nbsp;

2. its brand new. i dont know the price but it should be more than the S15 SR20DET since i think it came out AFTER the s15. around the yr 2000.

3. dont forget it comes in a SUV! so that wont be any performance parts for it. its like saying can i get this and that for my Xterra?

AKADriver
12-09-2002, 10:06 PM
About the SR20VE in the S-chassis...

It has been done, in Japan... &nbsp;the pictures I've seen were of an S14 Silvia Q's but the principles should be the same for any S13 or S14.

Here's a small shot:

http://sr20.hybrids.jp/van/reference/engines/images/000000051.jpg

Some things you'll need that I can think off off-hand:
* a bunch of RWD SR20DE parts. &nbsp;The easiest way to get them would probably be to get a whole SR20DE. &nbsp;Accessories like the PS pump, etc., and their brackets and pulleys. &nbsp;You'll also need any engine-side pieces of the mounts and the RWD SR20DE transmission and any RWD SR20DE cooling system parts. &nbsp;An SR20DE header correct for your chassis will also be necessary.
* Some sort of aftermarket ECU with DIS capability, as I doubt the SR20VE ECU is at all compatible with S-chassis wiring, and the SR20VE distributor pokes out the back of the engine. &nbsp;The engine in this picture seems to be using SR20DET coil packs, but there are other ways to do this.

With all that, it's still going to be a lot of time and fabrication.

It's a sweet engine, a real shame Nissan never installed it in a RWD car. &nbsp;Keep in mind it's not very tunable though... &nbsp;if you just want 200hp at the flywheel N/A, that should be attainable with a KA, either version. &nbsp;That's only ~170hp at the rear wheels. &nbsp;I've seen an S14 KA24DE crank out mid-160's at the wheels with only mild work.

RedlineRacer
12-09-2002, 10:13 PM
whats different from the SRVE and the SRDE? is it the same block just a different head. or is just the whole engine is totally different?

RedlineRacer
12-09-2002, 10:20 PM
that valve cover on it looks just like a GA16DE.

exitsanity
12-09-2002, 10:44 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedlineRacer @ Dec. 09 2002,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whats different from the SRVE and the SRDE? is it the same block just a different head. or is just the whole engine is totally different?</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
This info is probably in the discussions at www.sr20deforum.com 's VE section. &nbsp;But from what I've gleamed from those threads the head is completely different and the VE shares the 4 counterweight'd crank of the 2000+ SR20DE's. &nbsp;Those were some of the major differences, but there are undoubtably others...

AKADriver
12-10-2002, 08:11 AM
I believe the block is similar to the SR20DET FWD block. &nbsp;The compression ratio is higher than the SR20DE and much higher than the SR20DET. &nbsp;The oiling system is probably revised since the NeoVVL system needs extra oil pressure to function.

vapor_skank
12-10-2002, 06:16 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKADriver @ Dec. 10 2002,09:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe the block is similar to the SR20DET FWD block. The compression ratio is higher than the SR20DE and much higher than the SR20DET. The oiling system is probably revised since the NeoVVL system needs extra oil pressure to function.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Compression ratio varies with each version of the SR**VE/T &nbsp;they definitely aren't running a 12:1 compression ratio on the SR20VET