PDA

View Full Version : lower timing chain ka24de

silviaz
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi guys! I have a little problem now. I have the redo my lower timing chain gasket on my ka24de. Do I need to remove the upper timing chain cover or not ? The engine is at the garage right now and they only did the upper timing chain. I know I have to redo my oil pan gasket too.... My engine is out of my car.

Right now I don't have my engine in front of me, but in the FSM they say on the 1rst line "1. Remove upper timing chain. (refer to upper timing chain in removal)
2. Remove the oil pan...
3. etc...

Do I really need to remove my timing chain AGAIN if I only want to change the damn gasket.....

I'm totally lost the FSM looks like to show me some things I don't have to do If i'm not planning to remove my timing chain since it's brand new right now...

projectRDM
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
There is no 'gasket', just RTV. If you're only redoing that, you don't have to pull anything else besides the oilpan. The covers can come off separately.

silviaz
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
It's fine for the oil pan. Are you sure if the lower timing chain cover come separately from the upper timing chain cover ? The garage is telling me they have to remove what they did if they want to do my lower gasket cover....

If not, I only have to remove my alternator and water pump and my pulleys to acces to my lower cover.

projectRDM
06-18-2008, 09:23 PM
It's fine for the oil pan. Do you know if the lower timing chain cover come separately from the upper timing chain cover ?

It's sure I have to remove my alternator and water pump and my pulleys....

Written directly above you: The covers can come off separately.

Water pump does not have to be removed, just pull the cover with it still attached. Neither does the alternator, just remove the top bracket.

silviaz
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Written directly above you: The covers can come off separately.

Water pump does not have to be removed, just pull the cover with it still attached. Neither does the alternator, just remove the top bracket.

Thank you very much! I wanted to be sure because my english is not perfect. I guess if I only need to do that i'll do the job myself :)

+rep