PDA

View Full Version : Seafoamins just the gas tank okay?

s13pignose
06-17-2008, 11:58 PM
I have like 144k on the odometer, and was thinking of using seafoam, but only for the fuel system..since I've had oil leaks before, so I don't wanna do the crank. Think it'll be a problem just doing the gas instead for my injectors, which tick alot? I guess the rest I didn't use for the intake manifold and crankcase I can save for future fuel cleaning?

Also shouldn't mess up the 02 if I just do the gas tank right?

I change my oil every 3k or close to before/after, so to to worried about the crankcase, but never did anything to clean fuel system.

downshift_sideways
06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
You'll be okay. I wouldn't recommend seafoaming any turbo'd car.

You'd midas well do the whole process.

Sea Foam in: Oil Cap, Gas Tank, Brake boost line.

It's the best way to clean up the gunk and improve your MPG's.

Be sure to drive a little hard after the process for 10-15 mins. (helps push out all the deposits)

allntrlundrgrnd
06-18-2008, 12:06 AM
yep. its fine just pour 1/3 of the can in or whatever it says

s13pignose
06-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Alright thanks. Hey this question is not related, but a oem replacement z32 radiator cap is rated 1.1 right? Didn't think I should make a whole thread to ask that lol.

garagelu
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
yes z32 cap is 1.1kg/cm

sldbyuramg
06-18-2008, 11:13 AM
do everything if your gonna do it at all. just remember that when you put it in your intake manifold (to clean off your valves and such) it smokes insanely for about 10 min straight.
seafoam is alright for turbo cars. DSM guys do it all the time

AnarchX
06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
lol. Yeah, I remember my friend poured a WHOLE thing of seafoam into his brake boost lines to "fix" his rough idle. That shit smoked heavily for a good 25 mins. It looked like he was doing a brake stand.

dorkidori_s13
06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
please use the search button

this topic has been covered in great detail on here (actually pretty recently too...i started a thread on it a few months back that got really detailed)

just search for SEA FOAM

s13pignose
06-18-2008, 10:02 PM
I did, I was just seeing if it was okay to do just the tnak since I have high mile like I said. Also say if your not do for an oil change until about a weeks worth of driving is it okay, to do just the manifold and gas..or do you need to change the oil right after doing those too.

Thanks for the help again

gotta240
06-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Fuck doing it in the crankcase. Great way to clog an oilpump.

Vaccume lines and gastank only.

downshift_sideways
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Fuck doing it in the crankcase. Great way to clog an oilpump.

what an understatement.

Your cars motor oil is more likely to clog your oil pump.

s13pignose
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah reading mixed results on the oil. I think I'm just gonna do fuel tank. I got to much to loose doing the other 2, as this is my only car. Since fuel system is seperate, I shouldn't have to change the oil if I do just the tank?

downshift_sideways
06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
You will be okay.

Id say if your due for an oil change, your midas well take care of the whole thing.

blu808
06-19-2008, 12:36 AM
seafoam everything.

Its fine. just do it.

I seafoam my motocycles, cars, trucks, parents cars, etc. I even seafoamed our old ass hard to start lawnmower. starts right up now.

SexPanda
06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
unplug your brake booter line, then stick it into the bottle. Keep it at about 2 grand for half the bottle, then let it die. Then start the engine again, keep it at 2 grand until the bottle is gone, plug the booster line back in, and go drive it for a little while.

It'll smoke like a chimney, but the shit works, I swear to god.

!Zar!
06-19-2008, 12:44 AM
I pour it into the gas tank.

gotta240
06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
what an understatement.

Your cars motor oil is more likely to clog your oil pump.

Um, no. And fuck midas. You shouldn't be driving a 240 if midas has to do an oil change.

If you have an assload of buildup the seafoam can "clean it" and make it circulate your oil system....then clogging it. I personally lost a motor because i cleaned my crankcase. It was NOT with seafoam but crankcase cleaners basically all do the same shit. If you know the history of the motor since it was rebuilt, go for it since you know there can't be too much build-up. If you got it used or haven't ran a crank cleaner for 30 or 40k miles..... FUCK THAT.

Use it in the brake booster vaccume and be done. You don't need to use more than half a bottle a time though.

s13pignose
06-19-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah I'm leaving the crankcase out the picture.

Thanks

zavala
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
lol reminds me of all that lucas oil sh*t. motor honey that sits in the bottom of the pan and clogs the pick-up screen. i've torn down 20+ motors (diffrent types) that have used lucas and you can always find it there:ughd:

driftSTL
06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Um, no. And fuck midas. You shouldn't be driving a 240 if midas has to do an oil change..

i think he ment you "might as well...." not midas like the place cause dont they just do brakes and tires anyway?

slidingsky
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Um, no. And fuck midas. You shouldn't be driving a 240 if midas has to do an oil change.

If you have an assload of buildup the seafoam can "clean it" and make it circulate your oil system....then clogging it. I personally lost a motor because i cleaned my crankcase. It was NOT with seafoam but crankcase cleaners basically all do the same shit. If you know the history of the motor since it was rebuilt, go for it since you know there can't be too much build-up. If you got it used or haven't ran a crank cleaner for 30 or 40k miles..... FUCK THAT.

Use it in the brake booster vaccume and be done. You don't need to use more than half a bottle a time though.

LOL

MIDAS = Might As

driftSTL
06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
^^roflchopter

slidingsky
06-19-2008, 11:32 PM
lol reminds me of all that lucas oil sh*t. motor honey that sits in the bottom of the pan and clogs the pick-up screen. i've torn down 20+ motors (diffrent types) that have used lucas and you can always find it there:ughd:

No joke huh?

I remember when Lucas got big I had a 13B and alot of rotary people had oil related engine failures after they used lucas. I thought it was just rotards that it happened in.

DataXUnknown
06-19-2008, 11:55 PM
not to threadjack or anything, but i just wanted to assure cuz im getting so many god damn mixed answers from everyone.

is it ok to use seafoam on a stock sr20 with about 65k miles on it (through the brake booster)? my engine looks like it needs a cleaning...

mifesto
06-20-2008, 06:13 AM
seafoaming is great minus the slight risk... just dont be a ricer and rev the shit out of your car to get extra smoke... seafoam will thin your oil hardcore. light loadless revs only if you want to help clear it up

hellion240sx
06-20-2008, 07:29 AM
how about just leaving it at idle, and not revving it since revving it thins out the oil? do u have to rev it?

whts causes the risk of losing a motor?

slidingsky
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
I know with my RX-7 you had to keep it damn near 2500 or it would bog down and die. I'm pretty sure you would have to do the same or near it for a 240.