PDA

View Full Version : car surges when engine under load

Russki
12-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Last week I did some maintenance to my car and the morning after it started having this problem.  When I'm in gear and pushing on the gas, the car violently jerks back and forth, and it is worse in higher gears.  It just feels like it's missing in one of the cylinders.  It idles the same as it did before and when I rev it up in neutral, it is also normal.   What I did for maintenace was: change the fuel/air/oil filters, oil change, tire rotation, and resurfaced front rotors.  I used all nissan parts.  Since the problem has occured, i have changed the spark plug wires and checked the distributor cap for corrosion, it came up clean.  I have also noticed that my clutch slave cylinder is leaking, so I bought that too and i'm going to replace it as soon as I can.

My thought is that it might be something electrical or fuel related.  I checked the fuel filter for leaks, and its dry, maybe somehow it got clogged or something?  The wires that were on the car were pretty cheap ones, when I took them out, the tip that connects to the spark plug just came off.  I thought that that was my problem, but didnt notice a difference with new ones.  I have also checked all the spark plugs and they all have white tips meaning that they are working fine.  I have checked spark for each cylinder by taking off the spark plug wire one by one and looking for an arch from the wire to the spark plug and they all had one.  Another problem with the engine is low compression, but I just dont see how that could cause this problem.  If one of the cylinders has dangerously low compression, i assume it would idle rough too, not just under load. I hope I won't damage anything further by driving it, but i have no other choice.  Please give any suggestions, i appreciate it.  Thanks.

clippard
12-08-2002, 05:33 PM
I had that same problem once. I found it to be my ground wire from my engine. Also I had a problem just like that when I had a bad MAFS (mass air flow sensor). good luck fixing your problem.      joe