PDA

View Full Version : FMICs

SilviaDriver
12-07-2002, 05:33 PM
there are so many diff ICs how would i konw which is best. i did a search and people say Sparco and GReddy/Trust ICs are the best. how do i know which one is best for me? same question for BOVs. so many diff types. looking for more of a high pitch noise ors omething. rather than the low swoosh

Kreator
12-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Umm with the ics, i think the biggest important thing is how good is the flow, in other words how big is the psi drop. Spearco's are very good for the price ($300 off ebay) and HKS and Greddy are good also, but more expensive (at least the HKS).

In the case of BOVS, i'd be looking more at their performance (how fast they react, and how much do they leak). Check the FAQ, post about turbos. Some of this is covered there.
Quick review though:
HKS SSQV - this is the shit. Considered one of the best. Altough i heard the sound ain't too good.
HKS SQV - plastic => melts => leaks => pos bov
Blitz Super Sound - what i'm going to be running, what uiuc240 has, so anything in particular ask him
Blitz Super Sound DD - newer version of old ss. Sounds decent, probably better, but can't get it used off ebay.
HKS Super Blow Off - not adjustable, and kinda old, but decent from what i heard
DSM 1g bov - good blow off especially since it's cheap. Unadjustable, no swoosh/pfff sound. Later dsm bovs are poses since they are plastic.
Greddy Turbo XS is a good bov, but never looked into it (since can't get it used off ebay).

Jeff240sx
12-08-2002, 02:27 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kreator @ Dec. 07 2002,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HKS SSQV - this is the shit. Considered one of the best. Altough i heard the sound ain't too good.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
The SSQV has 2 valves in it. &nbsp;A fast reacting small valve that lets out a small ammount of air, but very quickly. &nbsp;The small valve sounds like a turkey call. &nbsp;Then it also has a large valve, that reacts slower, but vents a lot of air. &nbsp;That valve has the normal BOV deep "psshht" sound.
The reaction time of the SSQV is supposed to be one of the best, but it has a larger valve so you don't have to sacrifice flow rate for reaction cuz of the larger valve.
Just thought I'd help on that one, cuz I own it.
-Jeff

adey
12-08-2002, 05:08 PM
Any BOV comparisons with the Apex'i or SARD &nbsp;units?
I'm surprised to hear so many varying reviews of BOVs, I was always under the impression that a BOV was a BOV!

Steeles
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
too add to kreators reply: &nbsp;most of the spearco ones on ebay and such dont included endtanks nd piping which will all have to be custom made etc.. whereas the HKS and Greddy and blitz ones you see for sale are whole kits which include said missing parts... hence the bigger price tag. &nbsp;IMO unless you can do the piping yourself or have a freind that will do it mad cheap your better off getting a kit.