PDA

View Full Version : At what pressure the dash pressure light goes on ?

Master Chief
06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Anyone knows the exact pressure the light goes on ?

Thanks.

WoolyS14DET
06-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Anyone knows the exact pressure the light goes on ?

Thanks.

If your talking about the Tire Pressure Monitor System on a Z or a G it comes on when the pressure dropps below 28 PSI !!:coolugh:

Def
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I think he's talking about oil pressure.

I think it's around the 5-7 psi area.

WoolyS14DET
06-13-2008, 12:07 PM
If that is the case Sir I beleive you are correct !!

!Zar!
06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
At what pressure? It turns on at You'reFucked psi.

WoolyS14DET
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Ha hA ^^Agreed !! YOur phucked

projectRDM
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
8psi. Fine for cold idling, any other time you've got a spun bearing.

Master Chief
06-13-2008, 02:09 PM
i am asking about the OIL pressure light.
I seriously dought that when it comes on, any damage accours, unless you keep trashing it.

In anyway ,at least for now, everything still "sounds" the same.

For good sakes, some common sense.... Its a WARNING light.
If it coming on, would be apsolutley to late - it would be a WARNING light - no ?

Anyway i am asking, since i have a cheapo oil pressure gauge, that is not really readable below 20PSI:
http://www.carshops.co.il/images/809_image.jpg

Because a stupid problem, the car was ideling for about 20 minutes, with showing good pressure (almost 20), and sudenly starting to drop.
It droped pretty low below the most left line on the gauge, but the Dash pressure light, never came on..... So i cant be sure what the pressure was, for those couple of minutes ideling......

Hope those Calico coated bearings, prove themselves worth it.

projectRDM
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
i am asking about the OIL pressure light.
I seriously dought that when it comes on, any damage accours, unless you keep trashing it.

In anyway ,at least for now, everything still "sounds" the same.

For good sakes, some common sense.... Its a WARNING light.
If it coming on, would be apsolutley to late - it would be a WARNING light - no ?

You must not know much about cars. 'Warning' lights aren't used the way you assume. The oil pressure light for example, trips at 8psi. Well if you've just started the car and it's idling, pressure shouldn't drop below say 13psi. So 8psi isn't too much of a reach. But driving down the road, engine hot, 6000prm, you should be seeing upwards of 50psi of oil pressure. Obviously if it takes a 42psi pressure drop to trip the light, you've already done the damage you're going to since that's a significant drop in pressure. Don't quote me exact on those numbers, each engine is different of course and it's been a while since I checked the OE spec.
The water temp gauge is the same way, midway on the needle is anywhere from 170-240 degrees. Anything above 220 degrees starts to increase wear quickly on rubber hoses and it begins to scald the castings in the head/manifold, the gauge will not move to 'H' though until it exceeds 255 degrees. Again, you've already done the damage at that point.

That's why the very most basic thing I suggest to anyone is a REAL water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. It's the difference in $200 worth of gauges or a new engine.

mRclARK1
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
The factory temp gauge doesn't move till you're overheating. I've seen 240's overheat with the stock temp gauge still stuck solidly in the middle.

Why do you think the oil pressure indicator would be any better?

Don't trust it. 8 Psi is much to low... way past where a "warning" is in order.

EDIT: Owned by mere seconds. lolz

kouness
06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
since you guys are on the topic of oil pressure light.. a quick question: my oil pressure light only goes on when i am crusing in 5th gear. is there anything that i should should aware of?

p.s. sorry to thread jack.

kouvang

Master Chief
06-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok, never mind how much i know or dont about cars, i surley dont know about the OEM oil pressure light - hence my question.

Again, i am talking at dile. The car was only ideling at the time.

If i had the pressure low (according to the gauge), but not low enough to trigger the light - that means that it was somwhere between what looks on the gauge to be meaby 10 PSI (the far left most line), and the Dash light trigger point - 5-7 PSI......
So do you think that at idle, with lets say - 6-8 PSI, ideling for a few minutes, would cause any damage on a freshly built engine ???

Def
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
If the oil light flickers on a REALLY hot idle like coming off a track, then it's ok, but you should get an oil cooler. Note I said flicker, not stay on.

Pressure is a function of resistance to flow, so the temperature of your oil(and its subsequent viscosity) makes a huge difference in interpreting what is actually happening in the engine.

~8 psi with 220 deg F 5W-30 is still alot of oil flow, where as ~8 psi with cold oil means you essentially have no oil flowing in your engine.

KOUKI KAN KAN
06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I suggest reading the manual that came in your car when you bought it . FAIL.

Master Chief
06-13-2008, 03:21 PM
KOUKI KAN KAN (http://www.zilvia.net/f/member.php?u=60847) - what are you talking about ?

Allso, what track ? This is a freshly built motor - it never left the drive way.
It was only ideling - at normal operating tmperature, with 15W-40 Mineral oil....

Because of a miss conection of my oil cooler thermostatic plate, when the thermostat opened inside the filter relocation plate, it caused the oil pressure to drop - that is why this kep happening after about 15 minutes of idle.
The pressure droped according to the gauge, but the dash light NEVER came on.

I am just trying to establish, if my oil pressure at idle, at normal operating temps, was somewhere between the Dash light trigger PSI, and the lowest PSI readable on that gauge (far most left line) - for a few minutes - what are my chances of doing some damage.

Def
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Oil temp != coolant temp

I never said you drove on a track, I was offering information and provided a scenario where you might see that. Learn to read before asking snide rhetorical questions.

Master Chief
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Yup ! I'll learn to read, when you learn to post on the subject of the topic.

I thank you for your info and scenario - real nice - it just hasnt anything to do with what i asked - check out the first post.

I never asked WHERE i might see that, only WHEN.

Too many people over here are more buisy trying to be a TEACHER rather than just beeing helpful.

chituntang
06-14-2008, 01:54 AM
In your first post, people have the guess what pressure light you are talking about.
In your second post, do you even know if your cheapo gauge works? If you have 2 gauges monitor the same thing and their readings are different, you need to find out which one is working, which one is not.
In your third post, nobody post in this thread knew that it is a freshly rebuilt motor beside yourself. Sure somebody give you bad comment, but you are not showing enough information about your car, and yourself to let us- the readers, to help, or even any kind of understanding.
In your fourth post, you are just bitching...

Def
06-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Yup ! I'll learn to read, when you learn to post on the subject of the topic.

I thank you for your info and scenario - real nice - it just hasnt anything to do with what i asked - check out the first post.

I never asked WHERE i might see that, only WHEN.

Too many people over here are more buisy trying to be a TEACHER rather than just beeing helpful.

My post about flow vs. pressure with respect to temperature wasn't even directed at you...

Go figure your fifty questions a week you post on Freshalloy out yourself if you're going to be such an ass over a little extra pertinent info. :jerkit:

You got your question answered on FA - you're an idiot and you capped off the ports on your oil cooler thermostat so when it opens it starves the motor of oil flow.

NismoS13Chuki
06-14-2008, 07:57 AM
This is classic i love it when Noobs think that the oem lights or gauges meaning "WARNING". The oem gauges and lights are there to tell you when something has horribly gone wrong. I dont care if your oil pressure lights comes on at idle and then goes away as you give it some gas, the fact that that light is on means you seriously messed something up. In your situation here you have something in the oiling system that is leaking or barely getting by through one of the many passages. As you give it more gas the leak is probably being sealed up thus causing pressure to go back up or pressure just builds up again till it gets by the clog. if this were my car i would drain the oil and look for shavings in the oil and sludge. I then would change the oil twice. First for a flush and the second to fill her up. If it still continued i would search the obvious like valve steam seals oil pickup and new pressure sensor.

Master Chief
06-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Def - Nice ....is that the way they talk to you at home ? If i call myself an Idiot for something i did, it doesnt mean that you can do so as well.
We are not that close.

Anyway - and again - I DIDNT ASK (here anyway), WHY THIS HAPPENDS, or never even said it DID happend. I just asked a simple question of when the light comes on.

NismoS13.... Pall.... Not sure on what bases you call me a NOB.
The fact that i dont know EVERYTHING , doesnt make me one.
Its funny, you are saying that "The oem gauges and lights are there to tell you when something has horribly gone wrong",
but then recomand to change the oil twice - like what good would flushing the engine do, after something has gone "horribly wrong"...

Anyway thanks to everyone who helped.

Def
06-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Def - Nice ....is that the way they talk to you at home ? If i call myself an Idiot for something i did, it doesnt mean that you can do so as well.
We are not that close.

That's the way I talk to someone who gives me lip for no good reason when I offer helpful information - especially when it wasn't even directed at them in the first place.

We don't need to be close for me to tell you to piss off when you start mouthing off.

Master Chief
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Somone who gives you "Lip" ???
Hhhhhh.... Who the F*** do you think you are pal ?
You post in my tread, and claim you didnt talk to me - i wonder who did you talk to.

I guess we all know how's the idiot now, dont we ?

Def
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I was elaborating on projectRDM's post on when you might see an oil pressure light flicker and it be "relatively OK."

8psi. Fine for cold idling, any other time you've got a spun bearing.

Go fix your car and stop trying to be an e-badass. No one is impressed.

NismoS13Chuki
06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
NismoS13.... Pall.... Not sure on what bases you call me a NOB.
The fact that i dont know EVERYTHING , doesnt make me one.
Its funny, you are saying that "The oem gauges and lights are there to tell you when something has horribly gone wrong",
but then recomand to change the oil twice - like what good would flushing the engine do, after something has gone "horribly wrong"...

Anyway thanks to everyone who helped.

Thats because you have to start simple. This whole oil pressure thing is common sense. people are telling you it comes on around 8 psi and then you continue to go on on how your gauge wont read below 20 psi and you saw it starting to drop. a simple flush can unclog something that would cause a pressure drop. just because something has gone horribly wrong doesnt mean there is some horrible thing causing it. if you over look the minor and just focus on the major then your just gonna end up in the same position.