PDA

View Full Version : upset dyno day

whereda40at
06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
i went to the dyno today to get my car tuned for some more power.
we turned up the boost, reran the bov and boost controler hose to get rid of the boost falling off. but the boost still fell off from 1.3 bar to .9! no leaks or kinked hoses. we could not get more power out of the turbo or get it to hold boost.

my set up is: SR2.35L brian crower stroker and a hks 2530 .86a/r.
my turner is a realy good tuner.(sean glazer, worlds frist eagle talon in the 8's) so he knows what he is doing. he told me that the turbo might be too small for the displacement. yea i know it is a little turbo. but can it be too small for the car??
the car before made 280hp/281tq. now it makes 285hp/295tq.

any input would be great. i want to get a gt2871r .86 so that i can make some more power untill i get my top mount kit.

tougekid
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
gt30 twin scroll.

txrxs
06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
post your graphs up. That will be pretty telling too.

WoolyS14DET
06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Bigger displacement = Bigger Turbo !!! :rawk:

whereda40at
06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
post your graphs up. That will be pretty telling too.
i dont have a graph from this time i went but last time i went it was almot exactly the same. i can boost one up when i get home. but the a/f is perfect and the curve is smooth.
Bigger displacement = Bigger Turbo !!! :rawk:
i know that i am gettin a top mount set up by the end of the summer. but is the bigger displacement causeing me to have less power because the turbo cant move enough air??

whereda40at
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
gt30 twin scroll.
i am putting a bigger turbo on then that. borg warner 366 XXL:fawkd:

WoolyS14DET
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
You nailed it !! Bigger displacement = more air !!!

McRussellPants
06-12-2008, 08:52 PM
duh a GT2560 is gonna choke down on a 2.35L

Put a Billet wheel GT35R on there and donk all over that hood rat borg warner shit.

golfer17
06-13-2008, 09:30 PM
i dont have a graph from this time i went but last time i went it was almot exactly the same. i can boost one up when i get home. but the a/f is perfect and the curve is smooth.

i know that i am gettin a top mount set up by the end of the summer. but is the bigger displacement causeing me to have less power because the turbo cant move enough air??

That sounds like a probable hypothesis (it looks like an hks 2530 is about the same as a 2860 garrett p/n), if you're close to maxing out the flow of the turbo, then extra displacement isnt going to help much, but i'm assuming the area under the curve should still be quite a bit larger. It also seems though that you might be expecting the .35l of increased displacement to give closer to 17% more power gains since you have increased that much in displacement. however, all your power is coming from cramming more air into the engine from that turbo, and so that seemingly big displacement increase is really going to do more for increasing spool time, off-boost response, and area under the curve, particularly noticeable in the mid rpm area where the increased spool time means more boost at that rpm range, than actually increasing top end horsepower. where the extra displacement is really going to be felt is with the bigger turbos, where it will really make a more noticeable difference in spool time (and you should see a bit of top end increase as well, of course).

tad_07
06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
There is a guy on KA-T.org who has the same turbo (http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28481&highlight=hks) and he is making the same power and no more. Your simply maxing out the turbo. For a ka 2.4L the gt30r is best suited for turbo applications. I would assume since you have 2.35L the 30r would be best upgrade with almost identical lag, but I personally would put on at least a 32r as you can always turn down the boost if you dont want the power now... always leave room for latter.