PDA

View Full Version : MY IDLE SUCKS

BONG630
12-06-2002, 10:49 PM
hi I'm having a problem on my 1993 240sx hatchback, its my idle everytime I turn on my lights my idle starts to drop like its going to die does anyone know why this happens?? when the car is running its ok but on stop lights damn the whole body is rattling its kinda annoying sometimes I have to turn of my lights coz its embarassing when people look at your car making this rumbling sound on the hood.....any suggestion is welcome and thanks in advance...god bless to all...

Titan
12-07-2002, 08:18 AM
If your car tries to die when you're at low rpm and have your lights on, then it is most likely the alternator.

I believe you can have them checked out for free at Autozone? And in case it is the alternator, buy a rebuilt one, unless you want to spend mad cash on a new one from the dealership.

Natty
12-07-2002, 11:19 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Titan @ Dec. 06 2002,10:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If your car tries to die when you're at low rpm and have your lights on, then it is most likely the alternator.

I believe you can have them checked out for free at Autozone? And in case it is the alternator, buy a rebuilt one, unless you want to spend mad cash on a new one from the dealership.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
He got it. It's probably the alternator. You don't by chance have a huge stereo setup do you? That could do it too.
Also check your battery. When an alternator goes, it usually takes the battery with it. You can get it charged, but I recommend a Sears DieHard battery. They are decent priced and the replace them no questions asked if they go early. Even if it's your fault.
NAPA will hook you up with an alternator at the best price if you give them your old one to rebuild.
The alternator on a KA looks like a PITA to get to though,
Jeff

BONG630
12-07-2002, 06:29 PM
I do have a amp on my car my batteries are new and I asked my mechanic to check my alternator and he said that its working ok...hmm I think I better go to someone else for my alternator to be check...thanks for the replies....

Natty
12-07-2002, 06:55 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BONG630 @ Dec. 06 2002,8:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do have a amp on my car my batteries are new and I asked my mechanic to check my alternator and he said that its working ok...hmm I think I better go to someone else for my alternator to be check...thanks for the replies....</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
It doesn't matter if you car battery is new or not. If the alternaor is not working, your battery may last anywhere from a day to a week.

You may want to consider .5-1 farads worth of capacators from your stereo. Just how big is this amp?

Oh, and check your engine grounds too. You may need to clean those up a bit as well.

Jeff

BONG630
12-07-2002, 09:32 PM
its 1000watts total...I bought this hks ground wire kit so hopefully it could help...

sanmiam
12-08-2002, 01:44 AM
When you say 1000 watts, is that max, or RMS. &nbsp;A 1000 watts RMS will defiantely put a strain on the electrical, you should either go the route of a capacitor or a battery designed for high output audio. &nbsp;Personally, my car did the same thing and I got the air induction treatment made by BG and now it is rock solid. &nbsp;The treatment is expensive though (about $120 paying retail, I definately did not). &nbsp;Try to diagnose it. &nbsp;Remove the engine fuse to the amp and see if it still does it. &nbsp;If the idle fluctuation is still there then you know it is not the amp. &nbsp;If you live around Northern VA I can get you the treatment done cheep, otherwise try some of the solutions posted all over the place (Try FAQ)

bestnissanparts
12-10-2002, 11:01 AM
You may want to check your idle control valve. It is another possible cause of your problem.

As for Nissan alternators costing an arm and a leg, how long does it last compared to an aftermarket alernator. Do you mind paying someone to replace your alternator about every year? I buy all factory parts. I have worked for both aftermarket parts stores and now I work for a dealer. I can tell you we see a lot less returns.

uiuc240
12-10-2002, 02:53 PM
keep in mind that the stock alternator is only somewhere around 95 amps (not sure)...

95 amps x 12 volts = 1140 watts.

Now, obviously, the amp (it's AMPlifying a current) isn't going to take all that power...but you need to consider that in your sizing of the system. &nbsp;Look at the fuse on the back of your amp. &nbsp;That's a pretty good indication of how many amps it will pull at max volume. &nbsp;The electrical capacity of your car is *not* limitless.

Eric

9524tee
12-11-2002, 05:04 AM
just add a capacitor to your amp it will help trust me it worked for me thats what they are made for , plus youll get some extra sound out of your speakers also ... just my 2 cents ...