PDA

View Full Version : How do I take out a bolt on spacers

bigflip
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
So I have to change my brakes and rotor.I have a 25 mm bolt on spacers that I have to take out.It's pretty tight fit,I tried prying it with a screwdriver and hammer but did'nt hit it that hard because I'm afraid I might break it.
So i'm just wondering if you guys have any advice on how to take it out.

Nachtmensch
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
uh... unbolt it? theres not much to it.

unless you have something wrong with your spacers...

murda-c
06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
bolt ons? unbolt them.

spray it with pb blaster.

Maybe you mean slip ons, in that case if they are stuck spray them with pb, let them soak overnight, then try to pry them.

GSXRJJordan
06-11-2008, 09:49 PM
If he's referring to the fronts, it can be a bitch without an impact gun.

What I've done is to put a spacer (large nut usually) and a "junk" lug nut on one of the spacer's studs, then put a socket over the lug nut attached to a 18" breaker bar... wedge the breaker bar against the ground/friend/etc and remove the spacers.

Or, drive your shit to someone with an impact gun, they'll come right off.

Vision Garage
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
tell your mechanic to not overtorque the studs. Sounds like it is. It will probably break off.

az_240
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
screwdriver and a hammer is how I do it... just be careful...get better tools if they break

JohnJohn86
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
If he's referring to the fronts, it can be a bitch without an impact gun.

What I've done is to put a spacer (large nut usually) and a "junk" lug nut on one of the spacer's studs, then put a socket over the lug nut attached to a 18" breaker bar... wedge the breaker bar against the ground/friend/etc and remove the spacers.

Or, drive your shit to someone with an impact gun, they'll come right off.

On the front, stick a screw driver into the caliper and into the vents on the rotor. It will lock the rotor and you can unbolt is easy.

No impact gun required.

GSXRJJordan
06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Huh, not bad. Didn't think about the calipers being on there ~ obviously I don't work with spacers much :)

Hopefully the OP will have all the info he needs ~

bigflip
06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes it's a slip on 25 mm spacers.I got the bolts out no problem,its the spacer itself I can't pull it apart from the rotor.When I installed it did'nt go in easy I had to put the spacer nuts on and tighten them so it would go in.I knew then it would be a hard to take it out.

Vision Garage
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe the holes that the studs were suppose to go in are too small. I would try to loosen any rust by using pb blaster on it and then hitting the spacer with a rubber mallet to try to break the spacer from hub. Then pry it off.

5t341tH
06-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Yes it's a slip on 25 mm spacers.I got the bolts out no problem,its the spacer itself I can't pull it apart from the rotor.When I installed it did'nt go in easy I had to put the spacer nuts on and tighten them so it would go in.I knew then it would be a hard to take it out.
so its slipon now? i have slipons and since the spacer was hubcentric, it got stuck to the hub. get like a flathead screwdriver and pry it out in different positions. or even better yet, take off ur caliper, and tug on the rotor and it will pop off eventually.

Mr. Jesse
06-12-2008, 02:51 AM
so its slipon now? i have slipons and since the spacer was hubcentric, it got stuck to the hub. get like a flathead screwdriver and pry it out in different positions. or even better yet, take off ur caliper, and tug on the rotor and it will pop off eventually.

that works. or rubber mallet the rotor. thats what i did. and while it's off get some emery cloth or a file or something to get all the rust and shit off the hub and grease that shit so it don't happen again.

redpotatoes
06-12-2008, 08:31 AM
One of my spacer (H&R hub centric) is always stuck on my hub. I simply remove my caliper and gently hit my disk with a hammer. Spacer is always coming off that way. I should clean my hub to prevent this...I guess I'm lazy these days :bash:

bigflip
06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the input,like redpotatoes said just one gave me a problem.That was the first side i did the hard one.
But just hammer and screwdriver work.Sorry for the confusion on the bolt on slip on thing.Have a nice day!