PDA

View Full Version : SR 6k power loss

mmmjesse
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
So, i just bought an s13 with a red top SR. Mostly stock except exhaust, fmic, safc-II and a walboro. Before i bought it, it was dynoed and seemed to run fine. I put a down pipe on it and welded the diff when i first got it. So i then went to go drive it for the first time(had no down pipe before). It gets to around 6k and then nothing. I haven't stayed into the throttle when it happens, so i don't know if it will start pulling again or not. it seems to do it in just about the same spot in every gear. sometimes as early as 5500 in the higher gears and sometimes around 6500 in 1st. I have tested a couple of things. Bypassed the safc, tried another maf, checked and re gapped the plugs. There was a 4000 ish break up that seems to have been cured by the re gap. They are brand new plugs, but were gapped at 25. I re gapped them to around 40. Any advice would be appreciated.

adictd2b00st
06-09-2008, 08:45 AM
nothing as in...... its cutting out like fuel cut etc? or just not pulling as strong? because a t25 that comes on the redtop will drop off up top, if thats what your asking?

mmmjesse
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
its not the turbo, I don't think its fuel cut. its almost like you get to 6K and you cut the key off. I shift when it happens and its fine in the next gear until it get around 6K

Sil-Eighty SE-K
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
check fuel pressure..... if it drops under high load you got a clogged filter/bad pump

mmmjesse
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
ill check it out. wouldn't it act like it was breaking up if it were loosing fuel. regardless ill check it.

Sil-Eighty SE-K
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
yes it would....i had the same problem.... it would break up at higher rpm (the more load the worse it would) it would just fall on its face and sputter and pretty much wouldnt even aceel any further. Come to find out the asshole that sold me my project (it was in peices and i finished it) failed to tell me that the tank was rotted to shit inside.... like there was piles of rot/rust in the tank and i know he saw it when he put in the walbro.... i ended up changing the tank, pump (new walbro), and fuel filter and it ran top.... ive since had to rreplace 2 inj. that i think had to do with this/

mmmjesse
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Havent checked the pressure yet, but the tank is clean. Also ruled out the ecu.

mmmjesse
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Fuel pressure is 45 with engine off and key on. I need to get some fuel line to be able to check it going down the road. I have established that if you keep your foot in the throttle when it cuts out, it will not pick back up until you get off the throttle and then back on it again.

mmmjesse
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
ruled out ignitor, coils, and throttle body(tps). Im just kinda grasping at straws right now. I dont really have the time to really get into it. I just wish it would run right since it was SUPPOSED to be in good running condition and making 220whp.

fliprayzin240sx
06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds like detonation...

Well its either that or your plugs arent cold enough...

mmmjesse
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
the plugs are ngk 7's.

please enlighten me to why you think its detination. It doesn't seem like typical detination to me but I'm kinda new to sr's.

SoguRacing
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
check fuel pressure..... if it drops under high load you got a clogged filter/bad pump

I agree, with the above^. the plugs shouldn't be the problem. i'm using the same plugs and was running 13 psi on my t25 with no problems. I'm sure it's got to do with fuel possibly weak coil packs but you opened the gap and said it ran better so that could possibly rule it out. Sounds like a lean mixture tho.

mmmjesse
06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
this is what its doing. when it stops revving, i keep it floored but it wont rev anymore. It does it before 6k in this particular one. I do find that itll get down to 4500 and if i keep it floored it will stay at 4500.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/mmmjesse/th_Video_061208_001.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/mmmjesse/?action=view&current=Video_061208_001.flv)

mmmjesse
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Stock intake didnt have the coiled wire inside it to keep it expanded, so when i was under load it sucked the intake pipe closed.

adictd2b00st
06-13-2008, 09:29 PM
so you figured it out then? it was the intake pipe collapsing? damn, after watching that vid you weren't kidding about it not wanting to rev lol it didn't even budge! nice work figuring it out