PDA

View Full Version : Bent HKS actuator rod to fit clocked turbo, still adjust the same?

jt1583
06-07-2008, 04:48 AM
I have an adjustable HKS actuator on my T25G and it's boost ~7 psi. I had to clock the turbo to fit my car and so i slightly bent the actuator arm to still attach to the wastegate. I know to adjust it if it were straight I would loosen the lock nut behind the piece that attaches to the wastegate. I'm guessing I can just remove the piece from the wastegate then adjust it and then put it back on?

I do not really understand how these work either, what happens, the rod goes more into the actuator body making it open the wastegate later?

cotbu
06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
It's tension related... shorter the rod more tension = more boost
It's designed to be easy to adjust, bending it changes the ease of use.

Psycho 240 Freak
06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
There's a spring in the actuator housing. When you shorten the rod you compressing the spring. With the spring compressed, the internal wastegate now is being held shut with even more force. Therefore it'll take more pressure to be able to open up the internal wastegate now. That's why you gain more psi. Careful not to shorten the rod too much though. Shortening it too much won't allow the internal wastegate to open enough causing lots of boost creeps.