PDA

View Full Version : Headlight switch turning on fuel pump? S13 w/SR

Luvs2slide
06-04-2008, 12:54 AM
So yea, I turn on my headlight switch (to raise/retract headlights) I can hear my fuel pump prime it self. This is also when there is no key in the car. I'm guessing theres a short somewhere. Any idea if this could possibly be under a the fender harness??? Any suggestions are helpful. Thank you!:x:

GSXRJJordan
06-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Yup, it's fairly common. You'll also notice that when you turn the car off, with the headlight switch on, it won't turn off - what this means is that the ECU relay (which turns on the ECU, and that tells the fuel pump to prime) is pulling power through your headlight switch.

I've had similar problems a couple times, and traced the problem back to 'pin 5' on the headlight switch - it supplies power to the ambers and parking lights. Somewhere between the headlight switch and the ECU relay (most likely the driver's side fuse box/super multiple junction) something goes awry. I'll update if I ever actually fix the problem (I just cut the wire and supply an ignition-switched +12v to the pin from the ignition switch harness).

Luvs2slide
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
(I just cut the wire and supply an ignition-switched +12v to the pin from the ignition switch harness).[/quote]

WHat is the switch used for? I have been having a headlight gremlin for forever and just unplugged the connector for the headlight retractor. So they just stay up all the time.

KiLLeR2001
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
The headlight switch is there simply to have the luxury of keeping your headlights up while not having the lights on. Good to keep them up during the colder months because anyone that has tried to flip their popups during the cold probably at one point had to walk out and do it manually.

Luvs2slide
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I know what the switch is used for. GSXRJordan said he had rigged up a switched for something else which is what I was curious about.

GSXRJJordan
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm talking about the headlight switch, meaning the one on the stalk - next to the steering wheel. The 'flip up' switch pulls power through the headlight switch also.

I cut the power to the switch, and wired in ignition-switched +12v (meaning it's got +12v while the ignition is on the "acc or on" position).