PDA

View Full Version : SR driveshaft

240S15DETE6K
12-13-2001, 01:50 PM
I have to get aq driveshaft made for my SR20DET swap and I live in the middle of Nascar country where none of the driveline shops want to do work on imports.  Does anybody have the US number for Nissan Motorsports?  And are any of you out there running a single driveshaft, or are you all sticking with the stock two-piece shaft set-up?  
Starting to wish I had gone with a simple S13 or 14 swap.    

ca18guy
12-13-2001, 02:30 PM
I'm sure you can find one shop that will do the work for you. Not that many shops turn down money. If the stock one isn't fitting, measure what you need removed (or extended) and take the shaft to a shop and have them cut it for ya.

yenpit
12-13-2001, 03:30 PM
like ca18guy said, go to a local shop that specializes in that kind of mod, dont "offer" what kind of car its for.... if they ask tell em, but dont walk in and say its a Nissan. be sure u have all your measurments etc ready. if u present it like u know what ur talkin about and have all the specs with u any good shop will take on the project. $$$ talks.

240S15DETE6K
12-13-2001, 08:33 PM
Well, guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm but it's not that simple, there are technical reasons why they can't do it.  For one, the shaft attaches to the center bearing with a four-bolt flange.  Well, the balance machines are set up to hold a std. sliding pinion-type of end, common on solid rear axles.  Plus the Nissan U-joints aren't user servicable, they're crimped in, so welding the yoke that came with the 6-speed to the KA driveshaft will melt the seals.  Plus the tubing diameter is different on the KA and the SR shafts, so mating them will be difficult.  I will no doubt find a solution, I just thought someone would know of an easy fix, like "the driveshaft from a '73 Mazda R100 is a direct swap" or something.  When I get all of these issues resolved I'm gonna market a "S15 drivetrain into S14 chassis kit" and get rich.

Archangel
12-14-2001, 12:21 AM
I'd buy a kit like that.  Good luck.
Keep us posted on how the swap is going.

yenpit
12-14-2001, 10:54 AM
ahhh, the challenges of engine swaps! does the SR 5spd require any mods to fit.....or direct bolt-in?

IceTekGuy
12-14-2001, 12:15 PM
yea i STILL have the exact same problem, none of the shop here in CT will cut my shaft and weld the SR yoke , not only is it like that, but the fukin car was AUTOMATIC before, and now the guy at the driveshaft place said that when cutting the sr yoke evenly (cause its too short) could cost him his life... after he said that, i laughed right at him and walked out... so im still on the lookout...

he also tried to sell me a one peice, double wall for 300$
i was like uhhhhh NO!

if you find a place that will do it, then please post it here
cause i would like to find one also... thanks

240S15DETE6K
12-14-2001, 09:41 PM
GREAT news on the S15 driveshaft!!  Spicer, yes the same Spicer that does all the heavy truck and Nascar driveline components, has just made available a sliding yoke for the Nissan transmissions that will accept std. GM style U-joints!  They make two sizes, and the larger of the two is the one used on the S15 tranny.  I had to buy the sliding yoke, a U-joint (I decided to go with a race-type, non-grease fitting), a shaft-end yoke and the shop is gonna weld it all up to my KA driveshaft.  It's gonna cost about $150.  It's the best option I've found.  If anyone needs to know, I'll get you the part number of the transmission yoke.

IceTekGuy
12-17-2001, 12:30 AM
i would like these numbers, please... thank you!!

12-17-2001, 01:36 AM
<a href="http://acpt.com/driveshaft/index.html" target='_blank'>http://acpt.com/driveshaft/index.html</a>