PDA

View Full Version : is this good?? (pics)

whereda40at
06-01-2008, 11:15 PM
i just took out my diff today because it was broke. and broke it is. but it looks like some of the teeth that had broken might have messed up gear that come from the driveshaft into the diff. its not much at all realy. its like if you were to drop your cell phone from about 1 foot off the ground. thats how scratched up it is. its on the right side. the left side are some of the broken teeth.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/shortyboy113/Picture061-1.jpg

and the ring gear has a even smaller one on it. are they still useable or no? i have a new lsd on its way to me. but just the lsd.:2f2f: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/shortyboy113/Picture035.jpg

frankist
06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
dont risk it, get a new open for it, theyre plentiful, last thing you want is a broken lsd. =)

!Zar!
06-01-2008, 11:29 PM
That's weird for that to happen.

Just get another open diff.

Shit is damn near dirt cheap.

Except the people who try to capitalize on knowing that some people need that if they are to weld their diff.

whereda40at
06-01-2008, 11:33 PM
That's weird for that to happen.

Just get another open diff.

Shit is damn near dirt cheap.

Except the people who try to capitalize on knowing that some people need that if they are to weld their diff.
well i have a ats/carbonetics diff on the way. i didnt know if that tiny bit of damage would hurt anything. its not jagged or anything like that. its smooth.

it happend right after i turned my boost up from being at 12psi to 20psi. bad idea. thats what i get for making torque:rawk:

!Zar!
06-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice diff.

Clean the diff out and take it to a rear end shop with the ats. Tell them about what happened and have them adjust your backlash.

You will be fine as long as the teeth aren't marred on the ring or pinion gear.

sijia10358
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
WELD THAT SHIT! lol jk

whereda40at
06-02-2008, 03:15 AM
i was just out there a little bit ago and i painted the diff cover and then i was messing with the pumpkin and there is more teeth stuck in the tubing part i guess you would say in the diff. one is stuck and wont come out. but i will mess with it more tommarrow and see what i can do.

what is the backlash to adjust???

whereda40at
06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
any others input??

!Zar!
06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Backlash is the amount of play or, "click" between the ring and pinion gear.

If you have too much then you will break the teeth off.

If you have too little than you accelerate the wear of your ring and pinion.

It's adjusted via shims behind the input gear.

TurboNetic05
06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
ya... backlash is also the same thing on like lathes or similar machining tools. When you adjust the knob there will always be some play. Hope that kinda clears it up as well

dirtdiggler666
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
throw it in the trash dont waste your money trying to fix it

s13_maJiK
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
a small chip in the final drive will make noise. If your puting a new diff in replace the gears. you will never say i should of kept my old gears. you will also have a piece of mid of having a brand new rear end with now chips or week teeth.

white92_s13
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
just get a new ring and pinion.

they are a matched set, ones messed up replace both. they have a wear pattern. best to just get a new setup, dont risk it installing a nice lsd and having a noisy or potentially breakable rear end again