PDA

View Full Version : Removing Alternator Pulley

flip3d
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah so my SR alternator crapped out and I'm trying to replace it with a KA-DE alt I have laying around.

I need to know how to get the alternator pulley off with just typical hand tools... Sockets and wrenches. I'm stuck at home with a half-dead battery so I cant really go anywhere. I know the easy tried-and-true method to get it off is with an impact wrench but there isn't one available.

What would you guys suggest? I was thinking maybe I can just stick a screwdriver in there to hold the shaft in place but I'm afraid I might bend the blades on the assembly.

Don't tell me to search because I have been. Searched for hours on zilvia and google. All I came up with was, "use an impact wrench."

dori_sil8t
05-29-2008, 01:50 PM
rent a pully puller. boom bang done.
how are u stuck at home??? no cabs buses friends parents, friends parent u can bum a ride.??

SleeperSx
05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Well the TN Redneck way is, Get the Nut loose is with a wrench and a Big Ass hammer.

oh and don't forget to duck!!! Wrenches usually like to fly when doing this LOL

rotation3x
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/nis240drft/strap.jpg

iirc you will need a pulley holder so that it will not turn, but since your stuck at home you could try to make a strap to wrap around it. idk good luck

cotbu
05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
If you haven't taken the alternator off yet?, use the belt and your hands...
If you have a shirt or dry shop rag, wrap it around the pulley then spin it tight, if need be rip a hole through the shit..shirt. get busy.
you can also throw some rubber gloves in there too.

flip3d
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
rent a pully puller. boom bang done.
how are u stuck at home??? no cabs buses friends parents, friends parent u can bum a ride.??

I live with a roommate. He's never home. I think he works till like midnight tonight. My parents are in Missouri. All my friends are down in South Florida for the summer. Orlando is a victim of urban sprawl so the bus doesnt come around where I live. No money for a cab.

So yeah, I'm stuck at home with my broken ass S13.

Well the TN Redneck way is, Get the Nut loose is with a wrench and a Big Ass hammer.

oh and don't forget to duck!!! Wrenches usually like to fly when doing this LOL

LOL. I can try that but I need something to hold the pulley.

iirc you will need a pulley holder so that it will not turn, but since your stuck at home you could try to make a strap to wrap around it. idk good luck

I wish I had one those. I passed it up for one of those fancy shmancy metal filter wrenches.

Good idea though. I'll probably use a belt and a vice-grip.

SleeperSx
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM

You can make this easy, Get your alternator belt and a pair of Vicescrips, Wrap the belt around the pulley and clamp it down.

lonelydrifter
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Use the vice grips around the pulley then wedge the grips between something so you don't have to hold the alternator or grips. Then use all your strength to get that shit off!

DO NOT put a screw driver in through the blades. I did this and the blades were fine but the front case for the alternator shattered.

flip3d
05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
K, swapped the pulleys. Used the belt/vice grip method.

Thanks for your help.